Options

The Fun Begins - CCIE R&S Journey

mhonskymhonsky Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Chasing my CCIE R&S track this year or early Q1 2014 ;)

Currently using INE ATC, WB I-IV. Please share your best approach using the INE WB's.

cheers!
mhonsky
Reading Hrs for Lab:60
Lab Hrs: 200

Goal 2013: CCIE R&S ( ) | ITILv3 Foundation ( )

Comments

• Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Hello mhonsky and welcome!

Good luck on your journey. I lurk these CCIE threads to gain motivation for myself as well as to learn from their experiences. I've picked up a lot of tips from reading about their journeys that I'll incorporate to my own studies when the time comes.

There's currently a nice batch of members that have been on the journey for awhile and are getting close to their lab dates (Zartan, James, rakem, SteveO, unclerico.. to name a few). Anyways, take a look through some of their threads because some put in a lot of detail that will probably help you shape your studies.

Anyways, looking forward to reading about your experience and once again good luck!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    INE workbooks are excellent. Start from WB v1 book1 and work through all 6 of them
    Then get onto WB2 for labs.

I have only used WB1 and 2 so can't comment on the others.

Also, the standard book list...

TCPIP routing 1 and 2
    Internet routing architectures
    CCIE cert guide.
    and much more!

Good luck, every hour spent on the CLI will help
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Many thanks MrBrian and rakem for your valuable inputs!
    Based on my reviews with other CCIE's aspirants approach, I will do the WBI section 01-07 (Core), followed by WB III Lab 1-10(increase speed), then go back to WB I section 14, 09,08 (Core). After that will do WB I section 10-13 (non-Core) following WB IV Lab1-10 (increase troubleshooting skills). After finishing the three WB's, i'll jump into WB II referencing to WB I, ATC & DoCCD.

I'm on my way to start BGP as it's one of my weak areas but before that I would like to finish first getting my hands dirty with our three Nexus7K. Planning to have doing heavy lab by Feb.11 but if time permits before that, I will do WB I-BGP.

Rakem, goodluck on your upcoming lab exam!

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck mate!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Thanks Nel!

I'm trying to find where I can put my log time during lab practice and reading books. I believe it should be on the signature, but I cannot find it on my profile. I think I'm lost here :P Can someone assist please?

Anyway, spend good 3.5 hours doing INE WBI: BGP topics and will continue tonight or tomorrow..

I'm starting to love BGP :D

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Click the gear in the upper right hand corner--> then go down to your right and you will see "Edit Signature". The rest is easy...
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Thanks James but I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my profile..
    I cannot still find it icon_sad.gif Am I looking on the right area?

Thanks again.

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's things like PMs that come after a certain post count. Sigs could be among them.

You are looking in the right place.
  • Options
    Thanks Alan2308 for your reply.
    I will post my progress here always so I can gain access to Signatures :)

Just had the time to continue labbing last night & this early morning about BGP and got additional 2hrs..
    I find exciting whenever I learned new topics, this is good I guess compared to that your getting bored ;)

I just want to know guys if how/when do you do exercise, before studying or after? I'm starting to gain weight and I want to go back on my 62kls. 5yrs ago..

• Options
    Got 1hr labbing BGP early this morning. Another one or two tonight..

• Options
    Plus 1hr BGP labbing early this morning.. Tried to study last night but to be honest my mind does not absorb what I'm doing.

• Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    I am working through WB2 at the moment, following the kick start from:

Getting the most out of CCIE R&S Workbooks VOL1 and VOL2

I am off to a slow start, mainly due to the fact that I am going through the DocCD for everything at this point, but things should speed up as I begin to not look up things I am already comfortable with. I just want to be proficient with the DocCD, and make sure there are no options that I missing.

I just read your post about exercising, I gave up on it, I was working out 3 days a week. I need the time to study now, I'll throw in some push-ups or TRX on occasion, but not often enough to make a real big impact.
  • Options
    Thanks for strategy you shared with me. Did you finish the Appendix A before moving forward to Vol II?

I tried this one before but it kicks my b*** when I feel overwhelmed regarding the technologies i face for the first time.
    That's why I decided to go back to Vol I and make myself comfortable with the technologies first..

Anyway, good luck with your preparation and please let us know your progress ;)

cheers,
    mhonsky

• Options
    No I didn't. I don't have the Vol 1 workbook, I may break down in the future if needed, but after spending my money building the lab and the fact that they don't say you have to do the Vol 1 before moving to Vol 2, I decided to focus on Vol 2. That being said, I labbed a lot for my CCNP and feel pretty confident about the core technologies. I don't really keep track of my hours studying, I don't have a "target" other than just do more. I get at least 4 hours of study a day, but typically 6 to 8, I am "fortunate" at the moment to have a lot of down time at work. The down time introduces uncertainty in the long term employment situation, which gives more motivation to study.
  • Options
    mhonsky wrote: »
    I tried this one before but it kicks my b*** when I feel overwhelmed regarding the technologies i face for the first time.

Well, it took me a month to get through Lab 1 in Vol 2, so I guess that would constitute kicking my butt. The DocCD is not the quickest read, I also bing a bunch of stuff (yeah I just said that), and read the blog posts of others that came before me, I'm going to owe a lot of props when I am done with this stage of the journey.
  • Options
    nerdydad wrote: »
    No I didn't. I don't have the Vol 1 workbook, I may break down in the future if needed, but after spending my money building the lab and the fact that they don't say you have to do the Vol 1 before moving to Vol 2, I decided to focus on Vol 2. That being said, I labbed a lot for my CCNP and feel pretty confident about the core technologies. I don't really keep track of my hours studying, I don't have a "target" other than just do more. I get at least 4 hours of study a day, but typically 6 to 8, I am "fortunate" at the moment to have a lot of down time at work. The down time introduces uncertainty in the long term employment situation, which gives more motivation to study.

I think you are solid with "Core" thats why you are good to go with Vol II..

As they say, do what works for you,right? :) I'm thinking also to jump on VOL II once I'm done up to Multicast and just refer to VOL I + ATC for the technolgies I still need to improve.. I like this "I don't really keep track of my hours studying, I don't have a "target" other than just do more." On a side note, do you have plan in taking the lab exam this year?

• Options
    First attempt in August, so that I can do a second in October and worse case third attempt in December, I don't have a plan if I don't do it by the third, but I am hoping it takes no more than 2. But I have my wife prepared for the expense of 3, just in case. :) I keep seeing rumors of a blueprint change in January and I'm trying to knock it out before then so that I don't have to build a new lab.
  • Options
    Nice! Looking forward with your first attempt ;)

I hope also that the blueprint change will take effect next year so I can take V4 lab this year.. Nice idea on the attempts expenses, but my budget right now allow me to for one attempt only :D

Will be doing BGP tonight!

• Options
    Some issues at work make me slow but will get back definitely tonight!

cheers!

• Options
    I just realized that if only I can go back and get my certifications on CCNP-SP, I will do it because it's really helpful for taking the path to IE R&S.. my 2 cents :) anyway, solidifying now best path selection on BGP

happy studying to all!!

• Options
    ongoing projects (Palo Alto + Nexus7K ) slow me down but still i'm looking for quality study whenever I can. on the way now to communities and just finished aggregation.

cheers!
    mhonsky

• Options
    WOW! That's a lot with BGP icon_wink.gif Wrap it today and I plan to go back on section 01-07 again to solidify my core knowledge. I hope this will be quick this time ;)

I'll be attending the online bootcamp of nexus dc by INE using their AAP. Anyone joining the bc?

cheers,
    mhonsky

• Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I will say know BGP like the back of your hand, especially the best path selection process.

I've talked with the 'Brians' and a few people at Cisco regarding the DC track. I am waiting on better lab and workbook availability before getting too far into the CCIE DC process.

FWIW with exam fees, hotel, flight, food, rental it was ~$2500 per attempt. INE covered the first attempt as part of the bootcamp fee and I used skymiles and hotel credits so I was only out $200. The second (and passing) attempt cost me about the full amount. Thankfully work will reimburse!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    Thanks down77 for the reminders, surely all core topics should be second in nature, right?
    FWIW with exam fees, hotel, flight, food, rental it was ~$2500 per attempt. INE covered the first attempt as part of the bootcamp fee and I used skymiles and hotel credits so I was only out $200. The second (and passing) attempt cost me about the full amount. Thankfully work will reimburse!

Actually this is a big deal for me as I have budgeted for it only for first attempt (cross fingers) and all of this comes out of my own pocket icon_sad.gif Anyway, I will not schedule my lab exam until i'm fully confident but definitely I will attempt my lab this year and not to wait for changing the lab to ver5. How did you work out with your company about the reimbursement?

cheers,
    mhonsky

• Options
    Did not have time to lab this week because of lots to do at work! My full time job is 10Hrs/6days a week, anybody with the same situation or worst ;)
    I need to get back on early bird as I don't find any time at work to study and my mind cannot focus during at night once I got home icon_sad.gif Anyone with the same situation? Any advice would be highly appreciated!

cheers,
    mhonsky

• Options
    Slowly going back with L2 topics on Vol I, feeling more comfortable on the second round.. Also, manage to perform labbing as early as 02:30AM from weekdays. Today, I'm done with ether-channeling and working on 802.1q tunneling right now.

Happy weekend!

• Options
    I ended up reading DocCD before doing VOL I topics this past couple of weeks which makes me slow,but I find it very effective.

• Options
    I'm still here... added 4hrs of quality study time..

• Options
    Solidifying my core knowledge at the moment.. Tried some VOL III WB, seems to be easy but kick my butt on redistribution portion! Need to practice more redistribution..