Options

Free Red Hat Distro?

taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
I'm going to start studying for my Linux+ exam along with my Cisco studies for those days when I feel burnt out on Cisco. I see several posts on here saying to practice you should have a debian distro and a red hat distro. I see that debian distros are completely free but is there somewhere I can get a Red Hat Distro for free to practice for the exam? I will be using VMWare Workstation to create the VMs.

Thank in advance!

Comments

• Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    You can use CentOS or Fedora. CentOS is a stable free version, while Fedora will be more on the leading edge of things.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CentOS is pretty much the same thing as Red Hat (looks, cmd's, and location of files). Fedora uses the same commands as Red Hat but once you download it, you will see its definitely not the same looking as Red Hat and some of their files are in different locations compared to Red Hat.

Edit: You can also check out Scientific Life
  • Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    Awesome thank you both. I'll check out CentOS and if possible Scientific Life. I appreciate your help!
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    You can use CentOS or I believe you can register an account with Red Hat and have access to the RHN for 30 days and then you'll have to purchase a subscription. After the 30 days everything will still function, you're just not going to have access to RHN so you won't be able to run updates and etc.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Like others have said, CentOS and Scientific Linux would be your "free RedHat".
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs