Options

Anyone Pursuing a Masters Degree? Thinking About Pursuing One?

filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello!

Just wondering if anyone is currently pursuing a masters degree and which school you were attending? You can see my current school and the one I want to attend below. I am excited about attending Depaul in the future!
CISSP, CCNA SP
Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller

Comments

• Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    I am actually seriously considering the MBA in IT Management from WGU.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i have an MBA, did no good. yet.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2 courses away from my MBA
    I noticed I have been getting pinged for more business related roles. Infact I have 2 interviews today one with a sales and marketing team and another with manufacturing company around material management.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Suppose to start in April. Masters in Information Systems (concentrating in Security) and due to three classes being waivered I might apply for the dual Masters program which would lead to an Masters in Library and Information Science (concentration in Knowledge Management and Competitive Intelligence). Drexel University is the school (since I work there and that is where my undergrad was completed).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I want to pursue one really bad, just not in IT. Getting certs and my B.S. in IT is more than enough to get a high skilled technology position. However, what if I want to jump out and go into management or something else? I was thinking of a Masters in Marketing or some management degree to pursue IT manager / CIO positions.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Currently working on an MS:ISA at WGU, not sure if it's going to help or not. Afterwards plan on the eCPPT and OSCP, and will probably finish my CCNA.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm planning on getting either an M.S. in Computer Science from the U of Minnesota or an M.S. in Information Assurance (or similar) from several reputable schools that offer the degree online. I have at least two years to go on my undergraduate degree, so a lot could change by the time I'm ready to apply. I'm personally not too interested in executive-level management at this point, so a highly technical degree (not an MBA) is definitely in the works.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I was considering getting a masters I would seriously consider Law, or business. From what I have seen in my short time both of those would come in handy in IT.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Working on a masters at a traditional brick and mortar school. They do offer online courses, but I wanted to do it the traditional way.
    www.gmu.edu
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have my MS in Business and Entrepreneurship.

I got it because I knew down the road it would help me get into management/PM when I decided to take that route. I had the time to knock it out before life got in the way.I looked at the ROI of it as 10-15 years down the road.

For the jobs I'm getting now, it doesn't really help. They only care I have a BS IT degree.

So decide why you want the degree, is it worth the time and money, and when do you want to have a ROI on that investment.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Im doing that MS in Depaul :)
    Taking a break currently cuz. well... I have no money lol
    hopefully I can resume my studies in September

Ive only taken like 5 courses
    One thing I can tell you
    This blasts away Cisco certifications in difficulty and information
    You will learn how stuff works to a Data Bits per bits, mathematical level
    I took a class on underlying technologies (L1 & L2) and you literally calculate the Back Off algorithm (Ethernet use this), Token Bucket, Round Trip Times, Signaling, etc etc.
    Its very interesting!
    The IPv6 class was a blast too
    meh
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm looking to start my MBA this year. I have two options:
    1. MBA in IT Management@Capella University
    2. Dual Master's: Master of Science in Cyber Security + MBA at UMUC

Cost is a major factor... #2 is probably about $30k more. So it'll depend on what my employer helps out with.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I saw that either congress or the senate, not sure which, is trying to introduce a bill that will alow any veteran to attend any state school at in state tuition. Which means that if you live in VA, you could attend a MD state school and get their in state tutition rates.

Pretty cool.

Are you a veteran f0rgiv3n?
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh wow that is something that I think would be great for all veterans. I am not a veteran however so it won't help me much icon_pirat.gif
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I plan on enrolling in the BS:IT ND&M in WGU after I knock off a few more certs and get situated and my next gig, this particular effort is pretty much guaranteed for me… however
    I AM very interested in the MBA:IT Management from WGU. I do hope and plan to be at least a manager by 35 (5 years) Or branch into starting my own IT company, who the hell knows…. But how does everyone feel about WGU MBA IT Management, I know that it’s not fully accredited, but in terms of having it and experience that supports my position can only help correct?
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know Drexel has what they call the Yellow Ribbon Program. You use your GI Bill and they will cover whatever is left over. Good for any program that they offer (Drexel Online University - Online College Degrees & Online MBA Programs for online programs). So for vets, well known brick and mortar school degree for free can't go wrong with that ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    I'd love to get my MBA from a top tier B&M school, but I dont want to pay for it. So Im going to wait and see if an employer will pay it.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I'm looking at several MS programs in INFOSEC... I haven't made any firm decisions yet because my target school requires the GRE... so i've got to take that first.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    As my signature says, I'm almost done with my MS at WGU. I'm 2 courses and the thesis away from finishing. So far I'm pretty happy with things, not a fan of EC-Council, and my company is supportive. Actually, my company is paying for everything.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im working on the networking masters at wgu
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: