Options

Could This Possibly Be My Way To Break In To IT?

coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
Afternoon everyone. I came across a post on Craigslist with an opening for a 3rd shift weekend only, Fri and Sat night 12AM-8AM, as a Service Desk Technician. I sent the company my resume and the gentleman sends me back an email requesting an interview Friday afternoon. I ask a couple of questions and decide that I would like to interview. The company is a 24/7 help desk company. I had a chance to check out their website and noticed some other positions open as well in networking, which is my ultimate goal. I currently work a full time job Mon-Fri and this job would never interfere with that thankfully. I'm just wondering if this could be my ticket in to IT.
WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
Completion Date: May 2021

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Its certainly worth a shot. Go talk to them, and see if you like what you see and hear.
  • Options
    I just sent an email to confirm my interview for Friday afternoon. Most people would probably turn their nose up at this position, but I feel like this could be a setup for a great future in IT.
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    I agree that its worth a shot because, once you're there for a while positions could open up within the company allowing you to move to a full time position. Either way Good Luck!
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    MAPLMAPL Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone above. Any experience is better than no experience, and we all know how vital experience is in this industry. Take the job and learn as much as possible. Once you get that first gig doing IT work, many doors will start to open.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    Take the job because you want it or the experience it offers, but don't take it thinking you will work their for a year or two and then transition into networking. That rarely if ever happens. I thought so myself and was hoodwinked. The experience was still valuable, but it sucked.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Show that you are willing to do this kind of work just to get into the field and other companies will look favorably at it. Congrats on the find!
  • Options
    Interview today @ 2:30. Praying for the best!
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Let us know how it goes. First IT jobs are supposed to be hard- but as mentioned, the experience will help you down the road.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like a great starting gig!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Interview was okay for my 1st real IT interview. It was technical and he asked me some questions I honestly just didn't know the answer to. It would be a great starter position, except for the fact it would've required that I take 2 weeks off my present job for training during the day. I have a phone interview in about 10 minutes with another company for a Service Desk position.
  • Options
    Well I heard back from the gentleman today and I wasn't offered the position, but I thanked him for the opportunity anyhow. My phone interview Friday was pretty nice, I think. He said he would contact me by the end of the week to let me know if he wanted a face to face interview.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry you didn't get the job, but sounds like you're keeping up the hunt! Good luck, that first job is always the trickiest.
  • Options
    I wasn't even saddened when I got the email. It was a great opportunity and it gave me some things to research as well. I'm definitely on the hunt.