Options

SUS/WSUS Hate MS

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
well I run a SUS in a large network so I can maintain what updates are be sent out to XP via my AD. A while back the updates would have "COMPUTER NEEDS REBOOT" in red bold lettering, to let me know to send out an email warning everyone to reboot their machines in the morning or possibly skipping that update (did that most of the time) to avoid a reboot. Now M$ got sneaky & everyone update now says "Computer might need a reboot" So now I don't know what one really requires a reboot. I hate it. They caught onto admins skipping the rebooted updates.

Anyone using the updated WSUS? My SUS keeps asking me to upgrade to it but I don't feel like going through all that.

Comments

• Options
    forged_by_hatredforged_by_hatred Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently upgraded from SUS to WSUS in my environment and I'm very pleased with the progression of the technology.

WSUS offers reporting on update clients which is easier than sifting through the IIS logs as with SUS! The interface is cleaner and the ability to group machines and easily review their patch/hotfix requirements is a boon.

I certainly recommend the move to WSUS, but if possible would strip out SUS first and do a clean install of WSUS rather than an upgrade.
    The principle goal of education is to create men who are capable of doing new things, not simply of repeating what other generations have done - men who are creative, inventive and discoverers --- Jean Piaget