Options

Salary for IT system administrator in New York.

blakezerosblakezeros Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I would like to get some advice from you guys on what could be the salary of an IT system administrator in new york.

I have been working for 6 years in a refrigeration/hvca/kitchen company that didn’t have an IT department when I started. I created the IT department and this is what I do:

Network, windows server system administration, database administration, PCI-Compliace, security with Symantec endpoint protection, Symantec backup exec, Linux administration, technical support hardware/software, cost-efficient solutions using open source (Hylafax server, zimbra, funambol), Help desk, technical support in Android/iOS hardware and software and remote technical support to other branches.

I don’t have a degree or certification. I have 3 years of college in computer science (I studied in Ecuador then dropped out and moved to new york).

I have a lot of knowledge and experience in the IT field and I am also a developer.

I don’t feel like I am being well paid for what I do. I start to think that this company is taking advantage on me. I am not an illegal; in fact I became US citizen last year. I want to have a conversation with my boss about my salary based on your advices. I’m sorry for any inconvenience about this topic.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello fellow Ecuadorian,

Welcome to TE! First and foremost, you sure do quite the load! Based on what you said it seems like your salary is near no where that makes you happy for the amount of workload.

The best thing to find what the salary base should be is looked on local and/or job posting websites. Look to see what the salary in New York is for the same job role is because every area is going to have a different market.

One person from Middle of no where may get paid $12 /hr while someone in New York doing the same job would get $21 /hr

First do some research to get a general idea what offer to bring to your employer. Aim higher based on the time you've been there plus the amount of work you've done for them over the years.

I'd say an average would be 65-75k yr or maybe $60 /hr ..that's just me though.

Good luck with everything though.
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Santa_ wrote: »
    or maybe $60 /hr ..

Assuming that is a typo...
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)