Options

Job responsibilites don't follow traditional Role

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey guys,

So I've been brought in as a Network engineer, but as of now the SR Engineer and Network Manager are the only ones that do anything really network related jobs... (ACLS, ASA, actual network configs)

I will be doing mostly Escalated troubleshooting, of all types... from hardware/software/inventory/shipping invoicing/asset management/and projects.... SO it seems more like a System Administrator then Network Engineering.

Now do to family needs, I needed a job, so I am and wanted to know if my plan, WHich is spend the next 2 years getting my MCSE and working to CCNP, viable, even if I am not getting much actual networking expierence. I get the title, but if im not exposed to lots of Networking stuff... isn't it counterintuitive?

I have no issue using this as a vehicle to allow for me to get my MCSE/CCNP and go to WGU and get my BS. and MBA over the next 2-3 years... and I think most of my happiness and contentment will come in that pursuit...just wondering because I don't really got friends and family that have any good insight about this IT world.

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I wouldn't really worry about it too much, unless you were hired on to do the network related tasks. It is also not uncommon for companies to use the Network Admin/Engineer title for a Sys Admin. On your resume you can always put "Network/Systems Engineer" or "Network Engineer (System Admin)" or try and get your company to give you a different title.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    swabbiesswabbies Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chitownjedi,

It is hard to be patient, but I willing to bet that if you show competence and a willingness to learn they will eventually shift more of the network duties your way. Most companies that I have worked with have a very slow transition of what you are allowed to do. Learn as much as you can from the senior guys. I would also recommend over time finding out what items they don't have time to deal with and volunteering to take those cleanup type projects on. That is a good way to gain trust.
    thanks,
    Swabbies
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    swabbies wrote: »
    Chitownjedi,

It is hard to be patient, but I willing to bet that if you show competence and a willingness to learn they will eventually shift more of the network duties your way. Most companies that I have worked with have a very slow transition of what you are allowed to do. Learn as much as you can from the senior guys. I would also recommend over time finding out what items they don't have time to deal with and volunteering to take those cleanup type projects on. That is a good way to gain trust.

Hey,

Yes, it is lol... I just went over to my boss (he was away this morning)
    and had a chat.. I let him know that I would like to be transitioned into networking responsibilites once we get everything undercontrol.. and I get my ccna-sec/voice studies back into the swing this summer... he said I will be able to... so that gives me some comfort