Options

Too old for the game

optimistmindoptimistmind Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello there help needed......

I'm 39 hitting 40 this summer, I was thinking if I was too old to enter the network work. I did do my CCNA back in Dec 2006 and would have to do ICDN2. I just want to hear what peps points of view........ icon_rolleyes.gif

Many Thanks

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Like they say, it's never too late! Are you into IT at all? If you are, it may make things a whole lot easier.

Welcome to TE!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Never fear, do you really want to get into IT? If yes, start working on your resume and flood it out for every Helpdesk/ISP Support/Desktop Support or any entry level position you find. You are going to need to be persistent and willing to tough it out. You also need to work on a cert or two to get you that leg up over the competition. Just so you are aware, it may take awhile to land that first job. Dont get discouraged though, IT is a pretty cool industry to be in and once your out of entry level roles, things begin to start getting interesting. Where are you based, if you dont mind me asking.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Thank you Essendon...I'm based in London Uk
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    You are definitely not too old for the game. You're only too old for the game if you retire yourself from the game. Until then, you're ripe. :D

There's people older than you who do a full career in the military, and then go into IT (from something totally unrelated). You're not too old at all.

As long as you can be persistent and hard-working, you'll be on your way.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Thank you Instant0000
  • Options
    DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Never too old...

Also pretty sure you would either have to do the composite 640-802 or ICND1 + ICND2 to get your CCNA (not just ICND2)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree never too old. Set realistic expectations and everything will be alright!
  • Options
    Thank you Diggs & N2it.........Diggs I think I've to do ICND2 to validate my CCNA.......I might be wrong...
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did my CCNA at 38 and my CCNA:Sec at 41, last year ... and I intend to pass CCNP:Sec before 45, although network is not my primary specialty, linux is; depends on my budget, for the next 2 yrs. I want to add at least 2 more linux certs. to my list (RHCE is the final target).
    Until 50, I want to pass more security exams, like CEH or CISSP ... so, is never too late (unfortunately I dont have to much time for study) and I am not considering myself too old for the game ;)
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I agree...you're only too old when you decide that's the case.

Regarding the CCNA: You can renew a CCNA with the ICND2. If you've let it expire, you'll have to do the composite or both ICND1 and 2.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    You are too old only when you think that you are old.
    Besides, what about your optimist mind? :)
  • Options
    danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
    LOL, I was thinking this would be a post by a 99 year old.
    Check on forums, I saw a recent post by a 55 year old who just got his first it job.. and come to think of it, he was positive and happy about it.
    I suggest you do the same. You're only 40 years young... which I believe is not too old at all.
    Please do not think of yourself as old. You're only OLD when you consider yourself to be OLD.
    Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
    Up Next: CCNP
    Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
    And Umm: CCNP Voice