Cisco switching question

bardsleybbardsleyb Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
This may sound weird, but it isn't explained really well in my book. I understand that you have to make a fast ethernet port on a Cisco switch an access port before you use it or enable any type of port security on them. What I want to know is why this is not the default? Are they set to trunking or something? I see the line protocol is up so why do I have to make them access ports before I set them to shutdown? I don't understand why i can't just shut them down and not care if they are access ports or not. Is this just something funny with my lab in NetSim 8? I will be getting my own lab soon, but for now NetSim is all I have. Thanks!

Brandon

Comments

• mrjoshuapmrjoshuap Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Brandon,

Joshua here, a Cisco switch port is set to auto negotiate between being an Access port or a Trunk port by default out of the box. If you enter the following syntax from Exec mode this will show all the information pertaining to that port. Syntax; show interfaces port# switchport. Try Cisco Packet Tracer or as you stated get the real lab equipment, you could never go wrong with that. Hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore questions.