Options

what are all the possible causes of Request timed out

sonagccnasonagccna Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
I formatted and reinstalled windows 2000 professionalin a system which has compex RL100ATX Fast Ethernet card;

After installation, I updated to service pack 4 and with updates;

The Lan Connection is available,
I could ping to 127.0.0.1 - loopback succeeded
I could ping to its ip i assigned from the same system

But I couldnt ping(or browse other computers in the network, and we dont use domain but member of a workgroup) to other computers connected in the LAN .When I tried this I am getting Request timed out message,

I changed ip address, changed the cable, even changed location of the computer;

I tried this also, I changed the ethernet card with other other system's, still not working; the same card works in other system.

I updated the network adapter's driver too,

but no change, still getting

Request timed out message.

suggestions are welcome.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Are you using DHCP?

If so, is the PC getting an IP via DCHCP?
  • Options
    I am supplying the ip address
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    To every machine on your network?
  • Options
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    WHat is the IP scheme you are using? Do all PC;s have the same mask? If they are on different subnets is there a router in place running a routing protocol?
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    WHat is the IP scheme you are using? Do all PC;s have the same mask? If they are on different subnets is there a router in place running a routing protocol? -- JohnnyNoDough

To follow on what Johnny asked. Have you checked to make sure the gateway is correct if it's on a different subnet? Can you ping that pc from a different one? Do you have a firewall running on this pc?

Also try checking the duplex and speed of your card. If it's set to Auto you may need to experiment with manual settings.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    No subnetting used and Class C addresses have been used.

No firewall on this ps.

I am sure the gateway is correct.

I tried with setting manually too: to full duplex and line speed to 100Mbps
  • Options
    gullivergulliver Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    u check the cable cld it be the line 1,2,3,6 are ok or faulty, what happens when u connect th cable, does it pick up as connected ? therefore, check the duplex speed, auto negotiation is known to fail. Else.. it cld be the pins of the very card. gud luck