Options

iOS Deployment

phonetic.manphonetic.man Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

So, I'm not sure how many of us on here deal with managing and deploying iOS devices as part of their job. My current employer is a K-12 school district and has me (full-time) and another guy (half-time) managing and deploying iPads for staff and students using Apple Configurator (about 1500 iPads in the district with 1000 for students that I actually deal with). We have 2 schools that are full 1:1 deployments of iPads and 5 schools with a iOS here and there (typically bought with special monies for specific purposes).

Anyway, I recently started consolidating all of my notes, thoughts, and headaches from working with all of these iPads and I created a little deployment guide of sorts to help walk people through the process (and make them feel a little less alone while doing so). It is about 20 pages but includes examples and pictures. I made the guide using Google Docs and would like to use that as much as possible (so that anyone it is shared with has access to the latest version) but if there are people here that are interested, and possibly without a Google account, I can make this into a Word or PDF file and share it that way too. Having fleshed most of the document out, I was curious to see if anyone on here would like to checkout this guide I made and maybe save themselves a few @%#$&! if they are look at or planning for similar deployments. If you are interested, let me know. Maybe say something here in the thread and send me a PM with an email if I can share with Google Docs. I will check back every couple of days to see if anyone wants a gander.

Oh, I'm totally open to questions, comments, and suggestions that you may have about the process or the guide I made.

TL;DR - I work with lots of iOS. Wrote copious amounts of notes and snarky comments. Then combined everything into one document to share with others.
Currently studying: Backup Academy, CWNA, MCSA:08, iBoss ISCP

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Absolutely! Please share.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, pls share ... We are going through this now...
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I have 20 iPads/iPhones deployed/managed using Meraki since it's simple, cloud based and free. The Apple side of everything is what is confusing. Between having the mobile certificate from apple, signing up for Apple VPP and making Apple IDs (non-credit card) for everyone....it is quite a chore.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Lets start with the important thing first-
    https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bz4bRCRr1ysDRjY3NVFqNVowU28/edit?usp=sharing
    The file is saved as a PDF and the folder is open to anyone to view.

As I said in my previous post, if you have questions, comments, suggestions or general feedback (assuming these are all constructive), let me know. I will do my best to help.

Currently, there are several things I would like to do to the document:
    -a couple of formatting issues I would like to fix
    -a few more pictures to add
    -another section or two in my "Chapter 4" about what I allude to
    -and, real information in my "Chapter 5" about Meraki and how to use it
    Alas, I only have 24hrs in a day (and a family, and a job, and college) so I will get to it when I can.
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I have 20 iPads/iPhones deployed/managed using Meraki since it's simple, cloud based and free.

Yeah, Meraki offers a nice solution especially given the price. We have Meraki tied in with Apple Configurator where I work because you can download a configuration profile from your account with them (download, import into AC, deploy, monitor). Basically just a nice way for us to keep track of our hooligans and if they add/remove something that the building administration doesn't want distracting students.

I have seen several other MDMs, and I can honestly say I haven't seen anything super compelling to justify the prices thrown around. Just MHO of course!
    SteveLord wrote: »
    The Apple side of everything is what is confusing. Between having the mobile certificate from apple, signing up for Apple VPP and making Apple IDs (non-credit card) for everyone....it is quite a chore.

You said it brotha!