need cheap NIC

fualkerfualker Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking for a cheap NIC that actually works in Windows Server 2003. I have a old 10 and I want to upgarde to a 100. Only one I found was the D-Link DFE-530TX+. They provide the drivers on the website, but this card doesn't work with the driver and they admit to having problems.

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    fualker wrote:
    I'm looking for a cheap NIC that actually works in Windows Server 2003. I have a old 10 and I want to upgarde to a 100. Only one I found was the D-Link DFE-530TX+. They provide the drivers on the website, but this card doesn't work with the driver and they admit to having problems.

Anywhere, CompUSA has them very cheap.

However if this going into a working server in a network enviroment, I would spend the money for something good. 1000mb NIC..
  • fualkerfualker Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm looking for specifics please. Anyone running server 2003, what card do you have? I'm not looing for a dirt cheap card, just something that is inexpensive and will work.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    http://www.newegg.com

You can find NIC's that work just fine for around $5, if that.
    That was the first place I went to. None of those cards have drivers for windows 2003 server.
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    just to let you know i've used that card in 2003 and not had any problems...
    Dustin Leefers
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    fualker wrote:
    I'm looking for specifics please. Anyone running server 2003, what card do you have? I'm not looing for a dirt cheap card, just something that is inexpensive and will work.

For servers I use and have used a number of the flavors of the Intel NIC's.

W2K3 usually recognizing all of them so drivers should not be an issue.

As far as 'cheap'....when it comes to a business client and server they need to rely on....Quality is more important and $100-$150 is not too expensive.

I won't bill them for junk - down time is far too expensive.

D-Link
    Intel
    both are decent, but I typically go with Intel in MS environments.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Windows Server 2003 HCL will show which cards will work. You can froogle one to get a good price. Pricegrabber is also good.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    The driver for 2k will most likley work just fine for server 2k3, not much different, and 2k3 will most likley find everything for you anyways.

Intel gives you some nice managemnt features with the Proset utility, but I am going to agree with /usr, newegg, just about any card will work. Just cause it doesnt specify a driver for 2k3 doesnt mean it wont work.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
    As far as 'cheap'....when it comes to a business client and server they need to rely on....Quality is more important and $100-$150 is not too expensive.

I completely agree, but this is not for business. As far as my research has gone the only cards that are truely "designed" for 2003 are in the 100-150 and on up.
    just to let you know i've used that card in 2003 and not had any problems...

I wish it had worked as well for me. D-LINK had nothing for me, the said it was hit or miss. couriously, what version of server 2003 do you have?

I may have found one in the $30 range. I will report back. If this doesnt' work I will have to jump up to a more expensive intel card that is on the HCL. Intel was the cheapest card I could find on this list.
    I picked up a netgear GA311. It claimed to be compatable with windows server 2000 on their website, but nothing on the box. It worked with the drivers straight off the CD. The card was $29.

D-Link DFE-530TX+ - may or may not work, D-link does publish 2003 drivers, and admit they don't always work with no solution

Linksys 100TX - no go.

GA311 - Will work with drivers straight off CD.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I've used two cheap, $5 NIC's with a Server 2003 box I have at home.

They both have worked flawlessly.