Options

Microsoft Server 2008 newbie questions

red3784red3784 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I just passed my Network+ and Security+, as well as landed my first job as an Help Desk/I.T. Technician. They hired me because they were impressed with knowledge in networking, and they were willing to train me on the job with a Windows 7/Windows server 2008 environment. I would like to teach myself as well, because most of the work they give me right now is busy work.

I am wondering what the best resource is? I was looking at these:
MCITP Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator: Training Kit 4-Pack: Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647: Dan Holme, Nelson Ruest, Danielle Ruest, Tony Northrup, J.C. Mackin, Anil Desai MCSE MCSD MCDBA, Orin Thomas, John Policelli, Paul Mancuso,

What is everyone's thoughts on these? Is there any other resources out there that are better? Ive heard iffy things about the Sybex books.

Thank you! any advice is much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used the MS Press book the 640 exam and am using it for the 642 exam now. Both are pretty good. Make sure you get the R2 versions, though.

Technet is a great resource and I liked the Server 2008 R2 unleashed book. The Sybex books for these exams felt light on the material, but might be good a different view.

You might also check into a lab, so you can run through some of the exercises. Maybe your company has some old servers kickin' around.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    That depends on what you are wanting to do. If your plan is to use the books to gain information and pass the exams, by all means they are a great resource. But they are really only good to get you to pass the exam, even then that is debatable. If you really want to learn in-depth, look at non-certification geared books such as the unleashed or mastering.

Also, take note that the 70-647 exam is retiring July 2013. So don't plan on passing the MCITP:EA track. The 640, 642 and 646 for the MCITP:SA are still valid and not retiring though.

Otherwise Technet trial downloads are more than good enough when used with a vm, such as Hyper-V, Vmware, or Virtualbox. Getting hands on experience with them will give you more than just reading.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Checkout http://itfreetraining.com they have some videos that could get you started on both Windows 7 and Server 08R2.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for all the help.

if I get the Unleashed book, is that enough for the 640, 642, 646 exams? Id like to get the piece of paper as well.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The book plus some serious lab time is going to be enough for the tests, not just the book. Real-world experience helps too.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    red3784 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all the help.

if I get the Unleashed book, is that enough for the 640, 642, 646 exams? Id like to get the piece of paper as well.

No, the unleashed book will not be enough for any of the exams. It is a great supplement, but not intended to help you study for the exams. In my opinion, the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit for 2008 R2 is the best for each exam. I used it for the 640 exam and I am currently using the 642 version now studying for the 642 exam.

But even the book is not enough by itself. I used the Self-Paced book, 2008 Server R2 Unleashed, Technet, CBT Nuggets, Transcender, and tons of labbing to study for the 640.

Good Luck!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I agree with @Lunchbocks here: you need to go into over-study mode from this time onward. These exams are not easy. On the lighter side of things, they aren't the hardest either.
  • Options
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    No, the unleashed book will not be enough for any of the exams. It is a great supplement, but not intended to help you study for the exams. In my opinion, the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit for 2008 R2 is the best for each exam. I used it for the 640 exam and I am currently using the 642 version now studying for the 642 exam.

But even the book is not enough by itself. I used the Self-Paced book, 2008 Server R2 Unleashed, Technet, CBT Nuggets, Transcender, and tons of labbing to study for the 640.

Good Luck!

The self paced one, is the same one I linked above correct?
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Actually they both are, it's just the first link was for all of the exams and the second link was for the single book. Either way, that is the book to use. There is an errata sheet for the book that's easy to find. Make sure you make the corrections or some of the labs won't work. Other than that, I would also supplement with Technet at a minimum and lab, lab, lab.

Good luck!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+