Options

Starting the journey

Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
Tuesday I start the pursuit of the CCNAS.... should be an adventure. Working in GNS3 and watching CBT Nuggets. The following will arrive next week. Any other resources I should pick up or focus on? I just passed the CCNA a couple weeks ago.... I want to continue going forward as things are still somewhat fresh. I had thought about starting the CCNP track but I won't be able to until this Fall. Let me know if I'm missing anything...

CCNA Security 640-554 Official Cert Guide
CCNA Security (640-554) Portable Command Guide
CCNA Security Lab Manual Version 1.1 (2nd Edition)

Thanks,
Hatch

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have the Lab Manual as well as the OCG. They're not really... Well... It's hard to explain. The lab manual, for example, recommends the ASA 5510. Whereas it's overkill for what we're doing.

I'm going through the book again, and despite the protest of a friend, I still want to get the certification.

Oh, and CBT's CCNA:Security videos are done by the author of the book - Keith. For that alone, it's worth picking up.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »

I'm going through the book again, and despite the protest of a friend, I still want to get the certification.

Very good to hear the book is worth reading. Why would your friend protest you going over the book again? :) The CBT vids have been interesting... following along in GNS3 really helps.

When do you think you will test?

Hatch
  • Options
    I've been taking the book to the bar everynight, and reading/studying at the bar. It allows me to focus, strangely enough. While I'm at work, there's always something for me to do. I can sit down, swallow a paragraph at a time and being in company of good people help. Apparently it makes me look smart, too!

I'll probably take the test with expectations to just see the exam. Then I'll know what I need to study, efforts, etc. I'd rather own the parts and pieces then do GNS3 again. The nerd in me won't let me be satisfied otherwise! I'd like to get some of these loans out, before going for the exam.

The material seems for small shops. For most things, you'll probably have to do a little bit of everything. Security is more of an icing, not the red velvet meat like R+S. I have to admit, I do enjoy R+S more than Security. But it's nice to be back in Cisco country from my Hiatus into Linux.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I've been taking the book to the bar everynight, and reading/studying at the bar. It allows me to focus, strangely enough. While I'm at work, there's always something for me to do. I can sit down, swallow a paragraph at a time and being in company of good people help. Apparently it makes me look smart, too!

I'll probably take the test with expectations to just see the exam. Then I'll know what I need to study, efforts, etc. I'd rather own the parts and pieces then do GNS3 again. The nerd in me won't let me be satisfied otherwise! I'd like to get some of these loans out, before going for the exam.

The material seems for small shops. For most things, you'll probably have to do a little bit of everything. Security is more of an icing, not the red velvet meat like R+S. I have to admit, I do enjoy R+S more than Security. But it's nice to be back in Cisco country from my Hiatus into Linux.

It makes sense to study in a place where you are comfortable. I do best with headphones on and the music up just high enough to drown the noise around me.

Interesting the material is geared towards smaller shops. Looking forward to learning more for sure. I'm taking Linux classes right now. I'm not a huge fan...not horrible... just not in it as I'm with Cisco. Maybe when I hit Security and Scripting things will pick up a little.

Best of luck on the exam.
    Hatch
  • Options
    Likewise, Linux+ just felt like I was blah. I got the point where I learned and felt like I was cramming for the exam. I just didn't have the fortitude for the cramming for something expensive and not where I want to position myself. I want to get myself knowledge about the OS and distributions so I could use the CLI. I'm at that point. I'm happy :)

Cisco on the otherhand... Let's get the rodeo and round up some hardware! Yee-Haw!

I'll be here, and Im sure a lot of others will step in with their experiences and knowledges!

• Options
    Books arrived today.... start the study path tomorrow. :)

Agree about Linux... had a class this evening... BLAH! LOL but.. I can see where it is useful to know.

Hatch
  • Options
    txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, im also starting down the ccna s path. Should be interesting! So far I only have the CBT nuggets vids and the Official Cert Guide. What kind of hardware are you planning on buying? The 5510?
  • Options
    txraider09 wrote: »
    Hey guys, im also starting down the ccna s path. Should be interesting! So far I only have the CBT nuggets vids and the Official Cert Guide. What kind of hardware are you planning on buying? The 5510?

GNS3 at the moment and the lab at my school.... they just ordered everything to start teaching CCNAS...

CBT vids and the books I mentioned at the start of this post.

Best of luck with your studies.

Hatch
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Check out the Networking Academy.I passed using only the academy and I will never take a cisco exam without going through the course in the academy.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Check out the Networking Academy.I passed using only the academy and I will never take a cisco exam without going through the course in the academy.

Can you take the Academy without being enrolled at a school? I took the CCNA net academy as part of my degree and loved it; however when I did my CCNP it was only offered at a couple of colleges around here and none of them had enough students to have a class for it so luckily the instructor opened it up for me; I'd like to find somewhere that has a CCNP security net academy.
  • Options
    xXErebuS wrote: »
    Can you take the Academy without being enrolled at a school? I took the CCNA net academy as part of my degree and loved it; however when I did my CCNP it was only offered at a couple of colleges around here and none of them had enough students to have a class for it so luckily the instructor opened it up for me; I'd like to find somewhere that has a CCNP security net academy.

I went through the Academy @ school... 3 out of 4 of my teachers were great! The school I'm attending is about to offer CCNAS ... they are setting up for it. I'm thinking the class will be offered in the Fall.

Another college which isn't so close to me offers the CCNP classes as well as the CCNAS. I need to make a decision... about CCNP and CCNAS.... going at it on my own... or attending classes. Right now I'm going over the CBT videos for CCNAS and I have the books I mentioned above. I need to get some things sorted with GNS3.

I do have another thread going about Boson.... I'm thinking I could use them for CCNP and the Netsim would be able to handle CCNAS as well.

At a crossroads so to speak... buy gear... buy software... attend classes... need to figure out what would be best in the long run.

The Academy and classes are very helpful...

hmmmm

Hatch
  • Options
    xXErebuS wrote: »

You can take a academy class regardless of who you are and which school you attend. The only thing is to find an academy that offers the course you are interested in and you just enroll, no problem.

Hatch, probably the best thing is to determine what is most suited for your own study methods.Some people do better when they prepare individually but the academy is a must at least for me. As for the gear, GNS will likely be enough and there is some equipment for rent and online simulators which may turn out easier on your wallet. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    You can take a academy class regardless of who you are and which school you attend. The only thing is to find an academy that offers the course you are interested in and you just enroll, no problem.

Hatch, probably the best thing is to determine what is most suited for your own study methods.Some people do better when they prepare individually but the academy is a must at least for me. As for the gear, GNS will likely be enough and there is some equipment for rent and online simulators which may turn out easier on your wallet. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Many thanks for the post. I think in the Fall I will attend another college for the CCNP classes. Right now.. .I really need to focus on keeping my CCNA info fresh. I feel everyday I'm away from the Cisco classes I'm losing more and more info. LOL So... for the time being I think I might pick up the Boson CCNP package as it includes all the CCNA labs. I should be able to work on CCNAS as well with the simulator.

On a side note... I had a chance to visit your beautiful country many years ago. We renovated a hospital in Tran. We also spent a couple of days in Sofia as well. I was stationed in Germany at the time, I miss Europe in general. :)

Thanks again for the reply.
    Hatch
  • Options
    You're very welcome icon_thumright.gif I'm glad you liked it, seems you saw the good side because the whole country is a big parody but that discussion is for another time and place :D

I should add that the OCGs, for example, contain a lot of information(definitely not saying that's bad) while the lectures from the academy are quite straightforward and they are exactly what you see in the exam.