Options

Partitioning question

Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
In chapter 12 of Mike Meyers' All-In-One Guide for the A+ exams on hard disk implementation, he has examples of partitioning in both XP and Vista in which he shows you how to create multiple partitions. In XP, he creates three but says only the first is primary with the other two being extended partitions. However, all three of the partitions he creates in Vista are primary. Why the difference? It seems it is not possible to create more than one primary partition per hard drive in XP. Is this true?

Comments

• Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just to clarify, the example I read in the book makes it look like any basic partitions you create beyond the first will not be primary but extended in Windows XP, whereas in Vista you can create multiple primary partitions on the hard drive. I'm not sure if I missed some information or there's something wrong with me but I'm wondering if my impression of this characteristic of XP is correct.
  • Options
    BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    My understanding is that in windows xp or vista you can store upto 4 primary disks on 1 disk drive.. Or 3 primary with 1 extended which you can then create multiple logical drives from etc..

Maby check the errata for the book? Or maby its just worded a bit funny? Or I could be wrong!

Hope that helps.