Initial thoughts from my hands-on with the Surface Pro

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    LoL. My desktop sounds like the mothership with it's fans. I don't really game too much on laptops either but more because of the form factor. I've never been satisfied with a laptop keyboard or track pad and having an external mouse/keyboard seemed like it was defeating the purpose of a laptop. My old ultrabook that I bought last year had the same keyboard format as the Mac Air that everyone loves. Drove. Me. Nuts. I felt awkward typing on it
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Great Review!! I will keep an eye on the Surface. I recently got a Ipad 4th gen and I really do not see a point in me getting a surface at this time. For work, I was given a laptop for free (dell e6420's are pretty sweet) for the price of a surface. Though I would't mind using a surface instead of the laptop for work purposes. The only thing the IPAD doesn't offer me is full blown office.

For personal use, the IPAD has given me everything I need, If I get back into gaming again for PC's then I might take another look at the surface. I do give microsoft credit on their design of the product because its pretty sleek, not as sleek as the IPAD but its pretty close imo.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    It's a better first product from Microsoft than many others they've given us. But they need to quickly improve upon it and get the price down or bundle the cover with it. The problem with the "Oh, I'll wait for the 2nd generation of this hardware" philosophy is the competitors will have their 3rd/4th/whatever generation devices out by then. If Microsoft ever wants to be taken seriously, they need some momentum on this.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the review. I have an iPad 2 that have used since its release. I am very torn between upgrading to a Surface pro instead of a newer iPad. Since my core focus of study is Windows it couldn't hurt for me to live in it from day to day usage. And as for Windows 7 "decay" I don't see it unless you are an irresponsible user on the web with it. I have had the same software running on my "desktop" since Windows 7 was released. And thanks to Acronis plus pack it has been through numerous hardware changes. Even a case change recently. Now it serves as a desktop / air purifier. 3rd case from the bottom of the rack.
    Went to buy the Surface Pro this morning at 10:05 at Best Buy. It was sold out not only in the store I went to but every store in SoCal. Called every Microsoft store... sold out of them too. Sold out at the online MS store too. Best buy online lets me add it to my cart but the instore rep said he saw it was sold out online and to not bother placing that order. Yeah. I guess there was a huge demand. Im on a waiting list now to get one
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    they seem to be sold out everywhere
    high demand?
    or not many were made?
    both?

either way I want one
  • skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm hearing stores outside of Microsoft stores didn't really have much stock. More like 2-3 units per store of the 128gb model. I was disappointed I couldn't get one icon_sad.gif
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wait what ??? Before I even got to see one!! Has Microsoft finally cloned the Apple reality distortion field. No can't be, they must have underestimated the initial demand. icon_sad.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I decided I will get the next version of the Pro in the future when it comes with LTE capabilities and a 1080P front end camera. If both of these get answered then I will be a happy owner :)

How many of them did Microsoft produce for launch?
    The ms stores had a few hundred each but they sold out minutes after opening. My friend was there to witness that. She had to take a number and got one of the last ones. Each Best Buy store only had a few and most of the people there bought theirs online at midnight and did the store pickup option thus exhausting their stock. No idea how much Best Buy online, MS online or Staples online had but they sold out if both models. I "preordered" one but I'm number 20 on that store's list so who knows when ill get one.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Lol TheShadow, it seems MS has completely cloned Apple's approach, from minimalistic UI down to marketing hype.
    Surface sold out, gosh-darn-it go get it, it seems "everybody" is buying it.
    But how can one blame them? Seems that MS doesn't intend to compete on price vs. features anymore, so it will compete on status...
    BTW, tablet that I was interested in, google's Nexus 10 appears to be sold out too. Is it hype as well?
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    Lol TheShadow, it seems MS has completely cloned Apple's approach, from minimalistic UI down to marketing hype.
    Surface sold out, gosh-darn-it go get it, it seems "everybody" is buying it.
    But how can one blame them? Seems that MS doesn't intend to compete on price vs. features anymore, so it will compete on status...
    BTW, tablet that I was interested in, google's Nexus 10 appears to be sold out too. Is it hype as well?

Not hype, just Google not understanding the demand. Same with the Nexus 4 phones. I finally added an app to keep me informed when they came back in stock. Took 3 weeks for an alert, after app was checking every 30 mins. Placed the order for two 16gb phones, still have a 2-3 week wait.
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They were sold out because there weren't many out there to sell. That may have been to grab headlines? The tablet/smart phone game has become a "headline" game it seems.

I don't know about any of you but I'm suffering from device overload. It's to the point where you're carrying around 12 pounds in electronics nowadays.
    Best Buy has rumored to fake shortages on electronics ever since the Wii. And the Blackberry Playbook was selling out allover too.....yeah I went there. icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't get why Microsoft would make a bunch of these when the Surface RT was met with average reviews, poor sales and high rate of returns?

I am assuming the Microsoft stores will be where people who are trained on the device can give a better presentation on what it can do rather than have Best Buy or Staples employees go "uh um" when asked questions.

I think Microsoft should have thought hard on using the name "Surface". I have a few Microsoft Surface devices at work, they are tables with a touch interface....

Ok the original "Surface" is now called "Pixlesense"....even though the boxes ours came in still says "Microsoft Surface" all over it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/pixelsense/default.aspx
    I agree they should have named the RT and Pro completely different to avoid confusion. According to a MS rep I spoke to on the phone today, they sold over 150,000 Surface Pro within the first hour of opening for all the stores in the US that opened on midnight. Who knows if she was full of BS or not. Don't care. Just want one.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im just really surprised at how poorly MS handled this. I gave a rep at my local MS store(DC area) a call today. He said he had no idea what day they'd be expecting a new shipment other than "late next week". No offer of a waiting list or pre-order or anything either. If the Lenovo Thinkpad Helix was out, I would've said to hell with the surface pro
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You know what I want in a laptop? I think I read there are prototypes already but instead of a touch screen I want gestures. I hate laptop touch pads but love the one on my Macbook primarily due to gestures. I think touch is cheaper but for laptops I think in air gestures in front of the camera would be perfect for Windows 8. I need to Google it but I thought Microsoft was developing or has developed it using what they learned from the Xbox Kinect.

I don't want to touch my monitor but swipe and pinch while I am in front of my laptop would be perfect for basic UI movement.
  • nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We sell the Samsung SUR40 "Pixelsense Table". It's a very neat product but most people do not want a fixed table, they want a portable solution that will at minimum fit in a book bag. Also doesn't help that it is $8,400.00 MAP.

Purchase Process
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Just got an E-mail from HP about their ElitePad 900, a Win8 tablet. Looks pretty cool so far.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ...it seems like the touch keyboard on display was a lot more responsive than when it was connected to the RT. It could be the processor or OS difference but it was noticeably more sensitive (better) and accurate on the Pro despite being the exact same keyboard.

I received a firmware update (first one I recall seeing) on my Surface RT and there is a noticeable increase in performance and responsiveness. Onscreen keyboard is better, splash screens are quicker, apps that had noticeable drop in frames have either been reduced or completely eliminated. It almost feels like a upgraded device. MSFT really worked their magic with this firmware update. Anyways, I'm betting the Surface Pro shipped with these "enhancements", and a Core i5 helps of course icon_wink.gif
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    There doesnt appear to be any mobile options?
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    When MS announced the RT and Pro version of the Surface, my first though was why would you buy an RT when you could have a Pro? After using my RT for almost 2 months, I changed my mind and wonder why you would buy a Pro when you could have an RT? It has already become my primary home device, so last week I tried to use my RT as my primary work device and was able to get through the week just fine. It was nice to just have to carry a tablet and have all day battery life.

At home, it has replaced:
    1. Personal Laptop - web browsing, i am not a PC gamer
    2. Kindle DX - reading large form factor
    3. Kindle Fire - apps, video
    At work, it gives me most of what I need:
    1. Mail (ActiveSync)
    2. Lync client
    3. Web Browsing
    4. Remote Desktop (haven't had to use it yet)
    5. All day battery life
    What my RT won't do that I need, a Pro won't do either - namely big proc with lots of RAM and storage for VMs. I do wish the RT could use the Pro stylus because that would make using Office 2013 on the RT easier. Making Office a modern app instead of a desktop app might solve that problem as well. The only x86 app I wish I could run on my tablet is the one that unlocks the Windows Media mobile versions of some of the blu-rays I have so I could take some of the Disney movies with me for my son.

RT and Pro both suffer from the same shortcomings, particularly apps and media services. Although having to buy and carry another charger when I have already standardized on micro USB is an annoyance as well. The apps will get there as the user base grows. I had an original Droid and the apps weren't there for Android when it launched either. It's going to be hard for MS to beat the Kindle Fire with a Prime account for access to movies and TV shows. There is an Amazon Instant Video app for the XBox, so hopefully Amazon will have a native RT app at some point. I can stream through the web right now, but I need to be able to take the videos offline. At least MS allows us to buy and rent movies with a credit card instead of Microsoft Points now, and I can still watch those movies at home on my XBox.

My 2 year-old son loves the Surface. He asked for it several times while I was out of town. I got back in after he had already gone to bed, and he woke me up the next morning asking to play a game on Daddy's laptop. He has used our phones and Kindle Fires as long as he has been able, but he prefers the Surface. The apps are better on the Kindle so it must be the size is easier for him. I was going to upgrade my wife to a 7" Fire HD before we go on vacation, but now we are going with the 8.9"
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To each their own. Things Pro adds, for me:
    Compiling x86/x64 applications
    Domain join
    Full, unfettered PowerShell
    Light gaming
    VMs (Core i5 and 4GB of RAM is more than I made it through my AAS with, running Server 2003 VMs and various Linux for labs)
    Full Office suite, especially Excel and Outlook

Just to name a few. I get RAM and storage issue (RAM is probably the only reason I won't buy it), but it has a Core i5. I see no proc issue for any reasonable use of a mobile computer. It can run as many VMs as it can store, encode video, whatever you need.

I'm hoping the next gen will have more powerful graphics, 12GB RAM or more, and be dockable with easy dual monitor support. Call it a dream, but I think it could happen.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    I think there are possibilities in the future for even a reasonable gaming laptop. The issues I see is the power drain that would come from two CPUs (one for graphics and one for regular operations) and a high resolution screen. We're seeing some pretty awesome advancements in low power low heat x64 CPUs so it's very possible but I think we're still a little off if you want something that small and light.

The Surface Pro gives me:
    -Regular application support
    -Touch optimization from Visio
    -Fully mobile Cisco lab on a "tablet" - Planning on buying the Boson CCNP labs for the occasion
    -Lightweight - My work laptop and power brick top 12 pounds total plus the weight of school and certification books I carry around. I'm looking to stop hurting my back regularly
    -Durability - Some of the other laptops and hybrids I held seemed very "cheap" feeling or plastic
    -High resolution e-reader - Going to WGU, this makes getting through courses easier and I don't have to deal with compatibility issues if the tablet I'm using doesn't support flash or the browser can't open the tutorial. I had issues with both the RT and iPad depending on the course or learning resource. The only thing that would play 100% of the learning resources was a full computer which was NOT easy for sitting and reading for long periods of time.

Problems/compromises -
    -Storage - This is somewhat of a compromise and somewhat isn't. I don't use more than 200 GBs on my 1TB desktop computer so I can't see it inhibiting me much but to mitigate against such issues, I bought a 64GB MicroSD card, 1.5 TB Western Digital USB 3.0 drive, and I'll delete the recovery partition once I get a Pro

Things I don't care about -
    - Battery life - It's comparable to every other laptop I've every had (4.5 - 5 hours) and I've never sat and used any tablet for 10 hours straight especially without the idea of plugging it in. I think people looking at the form factor naturally compare it to other tablets instead of other ultrabooks in it's class.

I'm hoping I get mine this Saturday. I'm sort of stuck getting it at Best Buy since I have $300 worth of giftcards from Christmas and I get points for buying there. According to the Best Buy I reserved one at, they received about 10 on Tuesday and they all went to other preorders that were above mine. They're supposed to get fresh stock this Saturday so fingers crossed.

One positive thing I've seen come out of this is competition in the market. Mac has released 128GB iPads and is now announcing new improved specs on the Mac Air. I like competition and think it's healthy for us as consumers if we want to get the best bang for our buck.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    I'd love to get one, but can anyone confirm a mobile 3G/4G option? I dont see how MS can compete if users arent able to connect to their vpns from out on the road.
    As far as comparable products and to give some perspective, there are some really good ones out there. It all depends on your needs and your budget:

Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2

Buy Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 Windows 8 Computer - Microsoft Store Online
    Pros: Lighter than the Surface Pro and RT, Full Windows 8, only $699, 10 working hours on it
    Cons: Screen resolution isn't great, half the RAM, only 64GB HD, USB 2.0, only 5-point touch, Atom processor - which explains the battery life
    Might be good for someone looking for a full Windows tablet without spending a ton

Acer Iconia W510
    Buy Acer Iconia W510-1674 Tablet Computer - Microsoft Store Online
    Pros: $499 for a full Windows tablet that weighs less than Surface RT and Pro with 9 hour battery life
    Cons: You're paying for the long battery life, low weight and cheap price with an Atom processor, only 32GB HD, half the RAM of the Pro, lower resolution screen and only 5-point touch

Asus Taichi

Buy ASUS Taichi21-UH51 Touchscreen Ultrabook - Microsoft Store Online
    Pros: i5 processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 10-point multitouch screen, Intel HD graphics 4000, 2 USB 3.0 ports, screen resolution matches Pro, 11.6 inch screen
    Cons: Heavier than the Surface line and Mac Air at 2.75 pounds which makes it not as easily utilized as a tablet, price tag is $1399, HD is only 128GB - Same space restrictions as the Pro, Battery is only 5 hours - Same as the Pro

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga
    Buy Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13-20175 (Intel Core i5) - Microsoft Store Online
    Pros: i5 Processor, full Windows, 1 USB 2.0 + 1 USB 3.0, 8 hour battery life, 4GB DDR3 RAM, only $999, 13.3 inch screen, 10-finger multitouch
    Cons: You pay for the battery life in weight - 3.3 pounds, 128 GB HD, screen resolution is less than Pro but closer than others
    (Note: Yoga is probably the closest you'll get to the Pro if in price and specs if you don't mind the weight and want longer battery life with the same amount of power)

Sony VAIO Duo 11

Buy Sony VAIO Duo 11 Touchscreen Ultrabook SVD11225CYB - Microsoft Store Online
    Pros: i7 Processor, same resolution as the Pro, 11,6 inch screen, 10-finger multitouch, 8GB DDR3, 256GB HD, 2 USB 3.0 ports, Intel HD graphics 4000, HDMI port
    Cons: A little heavier than Air, iPad, and Surfaces at 2.87 pounds, Price tag is $1,599, and battery life is only 5 hours.
    (Note: This one is probably the one of the most powerful of all the tablet hybrids if you don't mind the price and weight)

All the comparable products on the market are sacrificing something in order to provide one feature or another. That's why Pro works for me but might not work for someone else - it all depends on what features are important to you. If battery life and price is more important than power or storage, spend $499 and get an Acer Iconia. If power and battery life are more important than weight and price, get a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The competition is definitely a big bonus. The Windows 8 touchscreen/hybrid/convertibles from the OEMs have totally exceeded expectations. I had come to expect mostly really crappy products, and they all seem pretty decent.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    "Citing unnamed sources"

I love my Surface Pro and its been a lifesaver this last month so I don't care much about sales numbers as much as I care about the quality of the product. 400,000 in 30 days? Not bad for a 1st gen PC.

P.s. sorry I haven't had time to make a video review. Been crazy busy at work
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931