Config Back Ups - Automated

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Does anyone here have some sort of automation for backing up their configs and how is it done? I'm trying to find out the best way to implement this. There are hundreds of devices across the company so in reality can't really log into each device and add any config. Is there an "industry standard" way I can look into without having to add any further config to the devices?

Comments

• cpartincpartin Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We use kiwi cat tools at my work.
  • roberthockroberthock Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cpartin wrote: »
    We use kiwi cat tools at my work.

We use the same thing here. Solarwinds bought the cattools product. It is nice and you can set it up to alert you when changes are made to the configs as well. It will also generate a nice HTML report and show you lines that have been added, changed, or removed. This makes it great for change management and audits.
    CCNP: Switch [X] Route [ ] Tshoot [ ]
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    roberthock wrote: »
    We use the same thing here. Solarwinds bought the cattools product. It is nice and you can set it up to alert you when changes are made to the configs as well. It will also generate a nice HTML report and show you lines that have been added, changed, or removed. This makes it great for change management and audits.
    QFT. I implemented CatTools for backing up configs and automated monitoring at our company (~ 10 devices) and all of these features are really awesome
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cat tools
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    Downloaded the Evaluation copy...looks nice so far.

Can this scan your network for device or do I need to add them all manually?

I'm trying to setup a schedule on a test device to back it up but doesn't seem to run. It only runs If I manually do a "Run Now"..

Am I missing something?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Rancid is the most popular one I've seen.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • CodeBlue1914CodeBlue1914 Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At my last job we configured all the routers and switches to run a kron job to backup all the configs to a FTP server. It worked and it was free.
  • vasyvasyvasyvasy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just today Adrian Crenshaw, aka Irongeek posted his script to harvest the configs for Cisco-based devices, via SSH
    It's basically a python script that will connect to multiple devices and issue sh run command and store it in a encrypted file.

Maybe this will help you : ASAReaper: Grab Configs From Multiple Cisco Devices Over SSH
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've had good luck with Kron jobs where other tools weren't available. If you use Kron, though, it's in your best interest to create folders to organize your backups as neatly as possible. I'd also configure the devices to send modified configs (wr mem's) to the TFTP server as well, so if anything broke we could compare the before and after configs.
  • mohcommohcom Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CiscoWorks LMS. It's the best for this type of thing. More info here: Ciscoworks - Cisco Systems
    - CCNP (Work In Progress)
    - CCNA
    - CCENT
    - Security+
    - B.S. Computer Science (Info. Systems Security)
  • controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    Cat Tools - am I right in thinking it's a yearly licence Fee or 2 yr depending on which option you go? Wasn't sure if this was a one off, or re-occurring cost