Problems with Internet connection...

ronorono Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi!

Two days ago,I found that I can't browse the internet even if Windows shows me that I'm "Connected".

I'm runing on XP Pro SP2.

I've scan my HD with Norton,Microsoft AntiSpyware,Spybot,Bazooka,Ad Aware and found no virus,spyware,malware,and so on.Checked online,too!

I use ping to check if really my pc is connected to the Internet...and surprise , I've got reply!

When starting IE,it shows me that "web site found,waiting to connect" message down in IE's bar,but no web page loads...after max 15 minutes I get "Web page not found" error.

Ok..I called my ISP support and the smart guy tells me that is my NIS(Norton Internet Security) and even not agree with him,I took the chance and uninstall my NIS,but still the same problem with browsing the Internet.

Yesterday I chosed to re-install Windows after I deleted the partition and formating(NTFS) a new one.

At the end of OS installation,made my connection to my ISP...and boom,the same problem!without installing any programm,just starting my IE to load a web page and get connected to Microsoft Update web site.

I still have the same problem and in my opinion I'm 99.9% that the problem is at my ISP.They keep tell me that is on my PC...still not agree

with them!

Any opinion here?What do you think the problem could be?

Thanks

Florentin
Mess with the best,Die like the rest!

Comments

• johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    ping www.google.com, if you get a reply, then you know you have IP connectivity to the internet.

Say the ping gives you an IP address of 216.13.44.3

In your browser type http://216.13.44.3, if you get there, you have a DNS issue, either on your PC's config or your ISP.

Check to make sure no proxy is configured for IE.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • ronorono Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I get reply from google,and checked proxy settings.

I added manually my DNS ip addresses on my network card settings,but no changes...

Thank you anyway
    There is your probelm, its a DNS issue. If the DNS address you added were provided by your ISP, then the problem lies with your ISP. Call them back with this information and they should be able to get you going, unless they are complete idiots. Sounds like they have DNS issues.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
    :D

Call them! they told me that is not A DNS issue...I call a friend who is using same ISP and at him everything is ok.

I checked all settings on my IE and I'm sitting with XP Resource Kit in my hand and not able to figure out,what the problem is.
    are you using the same DNS server addresses that your friend is using?

try an ipconfig /flushdns just for the hell of it.

Also, check your hosts file, see if something puts some entries in there for you
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

what does your PC have to go through to get to the internet also, what devices, what type of connection is it.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

done that,too..same ISP

when he ping google he get reply from 216.239.39.99,i get reply from 216.239.56.78.

no files in host icon_evil.gif
    Hmmm, just realized something. You are on the net right now. I assume you are at home as you say you are sitting there with your XP resource kit. Are you using another PC?
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

My ex-wife pc...is next house:)

she starts to get mad,too...she use another ISP
    well, if your ISP claims there is no DNS issue, and your hosts file has no extra entries in it pointing you back to your loopback. Try issuing an NSlookup command, see if you get attached to a DNS server, from there type google.com, that will give you some addresses. If that works then your DNS is ok.

Also, revisting one of my prior posts, what type of connection is it, and what devices do you go through to reach the net, routers, modems?
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

ADSL and ADLS modem(hardware)...
  • StarterStarter Member Posts: 169
    If you are running win xp, 2000 or 2003 run ipconfig /registerdns and restart your computer.
    thanks anyway...I must give up..my ex had problems ...Women people or empty bottle=same thing!!

Thank you once again

I'll be back tomorrow
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I would say check your network card. It could be dropping packages or not, which in result would timeout a connection. Also check your TCP/IP stack, it may have become corrupted.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    It seems like the only packages that are getting dropped are DNS requests, he can access websites via IP. I really think the problem is at his ISP, hes not able to get his DNS requests either out to the server, or back from it. He reimaged, so its not his hots file or his TCP/IP stack, so its going to come down to the ISP, a cable, his ADSL modem (unlilley) or his NIC (unlikely)
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you tried another browser like firefox. If you were able to ping google.com then there is not a DNS issue. Could possibly be corrupt winsock. Have you attempted a winsock repair. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm
    Let us know.
    If you were able to ping google.com then there is not a DNS issue .

By God, your right! Thats what I would call a blonde attack ...doh.

Btw, you dont have a DNS issue, lemme go crawl back under my rock icon_lol.gif
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    lol i was wondering how long it was gonna take before ya clicked ;) im intreged by this too as i get it alot with ADSL modems in the UK, usually re-installing XP solves it.

When you say re-image the PC is it using an image you created when the PC was working ? or is it a re-install of XP of a CD?
    Nothing is working ...I tried everything...

I reinstalled XP from CD ... I 'm at an net-cafe now dowloading SP 2 ,burning on the CD and get back home to install maybe this will fix my problem.

I'm downloading the .exe files to install Firefox...and Opera

I will let you know...
  • 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    What make is the ADSL modem?
    yeah, if you still wonder about my Internet connection ...

1.Took the computer to my friend house and got connected there, and no problem with surfing the Internet.

2.Returning at my place and same problem.

3.I asked my friend to loan his DSL modem and test it in my place and I still had same problem

4.Finally my ISP accepted that it could be a problem (out of my house) with their line and tomorrow they will send a technician to check it.

5.It's almost 2 weeks since I not connected to Internet at my home...BORING! :D

But at least I figure out that my troubleshooting methods were better than ISP's helpdesk personnel .Of course, I would like to thanks to all who paid attention to my problem and gave their advice. icon_wink.gif

I saw someone from UK and I would like to ask how it's IT market there? I’ve got the certs I have listed in my profile, since 2003 but I'm not getting any entry-level job, here in Norway. So, I decided to quit at my current employer and stop doing the job I do...I'm open to travel everywhere in Europe to really start in IT.

UK, sounds great but I heard that Ireland is the place for entry-level in IT(a lot of support jobs)...so if anybody from UK or Ireland have some advice for me I will appreciate.

Thanks