Options

Taking the ICND1 (640-822)

CDubbs89CDubbs89 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay, so i have a question that is asked all the time, I am sure, what should I know for this exam. I have gone through the CCNA Exploration series of classes from Sept 2011 thru Aug 2012. I took the CCNA 640-802 exam in November. I failed this exam with a score somewhere around a 730(I don't remember the exact score). I have recently been looking into retaking the exam and have found out from a couple different sources that it is considered easier/better to take the exam in two parts if it is your first time going for the certification. I began reading the Wendell Odom book(icnd1/CCENT) last week. I believe it is helping me sharpen my understand of the topics. My main concern is what is the focus of the simulators on the 640-822. Also is there CLI on the exam or is it SDM, from me looking at different sources online it seems to be more SDM based. If anyone has input I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advanced and sorry for getting carried away in this post.

Comments

• Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just took the CCNA 640-802 exam last week and failed it. I decided to do the CCENT or ICND1 test. It's not that the test is easier but the topics are less. The CCENT from what I have heard is more specific in nature. Just go to cisco's site and download the Test Objectives and you'll be fine.

READ THIS LINK. It helped me and others here on the board
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/81293-how-study-ccent-ccna-tutorial.html
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    CDubbs89CDubbs89 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just curious why do you think you failed the exam and how much by if you do not mind saying. I just finished reading that link and did find it informative.
  • Options
    fivedollarcouchfivedollarcouch Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    having passed ICND1 and now halfway through my studying for ICND2, my personal recommendation is to take the two separate. I'm sure others may recommend the composite, but i'm just glad to have been able to focus on a more narrow set of topics for ICND1 (theres enough going on with ICND2 already).

Without giving too much info, for ICND1 the test objectives only mention SDM for NAT and for DHCP. Make sure you understand the concepts of NAT and DHCP and watch a quick video regarding SDM. You can easily figure out the GUI if needed.

Everything else is going to be theory or CLI based stuff. Now your show commands. Really now your show commands.

Consider supplementing the book with some videos. Either CBTNuggets or INE (INE is free right now). oh and know your show commands. lol
    2013 goals (old)
    CCENT (passed) | CCNA | JNCIA-Junos | CCNA:Security | WGU Enrollment

2013 goals (new job means new focus)
    CCENT (passed) | VCP5-DV (class 1st week of april, cert by end of april) | WGU Enrollment | CCNA | MCSA:Server2k8