Options

RAID Preference[s]

goasakawagoasakawa Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Do you prefer soft or hard raid? Why?
I grabbed a couple 10G drives [soft] for a msce lab, but wondering what you all, your companies use.

Comments

• Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Friend dont let Friends use software raids icon_lol.gif
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Friend dont let Friends use software raids icon_lol.gif

Oh so true.....rofl

I would recco Hardware raid. I never trust software.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hardware RAID like 3Ware and ICP is nice, but Linux Software RAIDs are pretty cool too.

If you got the choice and the money, hardware is obviously the way to go.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    Hardware. icon_exclaim.gif I have HighPoint RAID controller built into my motherboard running two 250GB Hitachi drives on RAID 1. icon_rabbit.gif No way would I go software if it was something I really cared about.
  • Options
    paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    Software RAID??? :o Maybe I need to get out more, but I never heard of it (Until now). Live and learn.
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Been around since NT, but they finally got it working in the NT 5 betas (win2k) as dynamic disks without crashing. The bad reputation of software RAID was already aquired by then an many people won't touch it expecially with the cheapness of hardware RAID 0 and 1 in IDE and SATA flavors.

p.s. here is a nice intro link
    http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=149
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    You will never get the speeds with software raids that you can get with hardware raids either. I honestly dont understand the point of a software stripe, sure you have mutiple IDE controllers that can read and write data, but you dont have any central controller that can pipeline the data, so your speeds are no different than a single disk.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    goasakawa wrote:
    Do you prefer soft or hard raid? Why?
    I grabbed a couple 10G drives [soft] for a msce lab, but wondering what you all, your companies use.

Guess I'm a bit late to the conversation, but Hardware RAID only (unless you merely wish to 'practice' to know what a software RAID is/does. In a business setting where time is money....ALWAYS HARDWARE.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?