Options

What Microsoft certification path should I take?

Bdub385Bdub385 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

I have been struggling to figure out what Microsoft certification path I should try and pursue. I'm not sure if I should go the MCSA : Windows 7 (70-680 and 70-685) path or if I should shoot for the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 (70-640, 70-642, 70-646). I currently have very little to no experience with server 2008. I took a class last semester that was geared towards the 70-680 exam and I'm taking a class this semester geared towards the 70-646 exam. I have a home lab with server 2008 installed and I have access to the school's lab to learn the material. I have heard that the exams are very difficult.

What are some study guides/books/references that I should look at getting to study for these certs and will give me sufficient knowledge to pass these exams? The books we are using are "MCTS guide to Microsoft Windows7" by Bryan Wright and Leon Plesniarski, and "MCITP guide to Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Server Administration" by Michael Palmer. I think both of these book are poorly written, and from what I've heard do not even come close to preparing you for either of these exams.

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks

Brian

Comments

• Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    I suppose it depends whether your job is a desktop or a server type role?

I work in a school so I tend to deal with both.
  • Options
    JayBliskJayBlisk Member Posts: 182
    Most entry level positions will be desktop support if you have zero experience. I have no experience and my friend is a network administrator for Duke Energy and has recommended I do the 70-680 & 686. You can do the 685 but I want to get the network admin experience that the 686 gives. Good luck on whatever path you choose. I'm also going to do my CCNA but he has recommended I wait a year or two to start down that path.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Thanks for suggestions guys. I'm actually not working in the IT field right now, but trying to get into it. I worked in telecommunications for a couple years though. Obviously I will have to start at the bottom entry level (help desk, etc) and work my way up. The problem right now is the area I'm living at is pretty bad for the job market. Most IT jobs require some level of Microsoft Certification on top of other certs/experience.

I'm actually in pursuit of my CCNA right now, and should hopefully be passing the ICND2 in the next month or so.

As far as Microsoft Certifications, I heard that taking the Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) certifications (98-366, 367, 349 and 365) might be a good starting point before taking the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 (70-640, 70-642, 70-646) path. I've heard it wouldn't require much studying to pass these and would give me a broader idea of what to expect from the harder ones later. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Bdub385 - I's say, skip the MTA's, after all, you have already covered similar material in your A+/N+/S+ studies.

Personally, I plan to do the client certs before touching the server ones, as I am not yet working in IT and my first job will likely be dealing with windows clients.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @Bdub - Your current certs give you a good foundation and finishing up your CCNA will help more.

I'd work on the 680 exam next, then either the 685 exam or start on the server exams. I agree with Ivanjam about skipping the MTA's. You'll get minimal benefit out of them.
  • Options
    Thanks Ivan and Psoasman for the advice. I may actually go for the 70-680 exam now that I think about it, seems like the logical step to take first before server exams. I took a class last semester in school that was directed towards passing this exam. We used the "MCTS guide to Microsoft Windows 7" book by Byron Wright and Leon Plesniarski, and I thought the book was poorly written, although some of the labs were useful. Any suggestions on what study material I should use to prepare for this exam? Thanks again, the suggestions and advice are very helpful!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Doing the 680 and 685 will earn you the enterprise support tech cert, which is great for help desk and desktop support positions. The knowledge gained will also help in the future, for network / sys admin roles.

I've heard great things about Poulton's book for the 680. I used the MS Press book for the 685 and found it good. That book, along with Darril Gibson's 685/686 book did the trick. I'd definitely lab heavily through both courses. Use Technet to fill in any gaps.

From there, a good path might be the 640, 642, and 646.