Options

Good Wi-Fi repeater?

About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
Hey all,

have a repeater that I had been using for about 2 years now that has been causing issues for about half of that time. After a firmware update, the unit locks up and will no longer broadcast a connection to the router and instead acts as a jammer, blocking all WiFi regardless of the channel or network. The solution is simple, power cycle the device and eventually it will start working again. I have decided this is no longer acceptable and would like to find a replacement.

I am at work and cannot remember the name of the device at hand, but I was hoping someone could suggest an alternative repeater with N speeds. Any input would be appreciated but I do not currently own a router that can do dd-wrt or tomatoe, so please keep those suggestions to a minimum unless you know where I can find a cheap router to go with it. icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is this for home use or business use?

I originally decided to go with a "repeater" setup by using a router in bridge mode for my TV and Bluray player... I was going to get a third router to add upstairs, but I decided to wire the second router and no longer us bridge mode... adding another channel to the mix and actually increasing my bandwidth and coverage. When you are using it in repeater mode, you are actually doubling all of your traffic, which is really bad for performance in a broadcast based system. Essentially, you are decreasing your bandwidth.

I bought a powerline ethernet adapter and it is working fairly well, I didn't need to get a third router as the improvements in coverage by having two diverse and non-overlapping channels help extend good signals further.

EDIT: All of my units are Netgear (routers and powerline ethernet).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mikrotik....very cheap and makes DD-WRT look like a hub. They are commonly put on towers and used by WISPs. Very good RF gear.

MikroTik Routers and Wireless
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...