Options

TE admin passed ICND1

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
So TE members don't see me posting much in the Cisco forums, but that may change soon. I just passed ICND1 with an 887 (804 needed to pass) on my first attempt. Surprisingly, WLAN was my worst subject area (50%), but I must admit not studying it for the exam. I took my time on the exam and rather enjoyed it. I don't uses Cisco equipment much in my job, so even this basic exam was a bit of a head-scratcher for me at times.

On to ICND2! :D

Comments

• Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Congrats, fearless leader!

ICND2 is quite a bit tougher.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    WTG!! icon_cheers.gif

I hope to only do as well!
  • Options
    fivedollarcouchfivedollarcouch Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice! congrats
    2013 goals (old)
    CCENT (passed) | CCNA | JNCIA-Junos | CCNA:Security | WGU Enrollment

2013 goals (new job means new focus)
    CCENT (passed) | VCP5-DV (class 1st week of april, cert by end of april) | WGU Enrollment | CCNA | MCSA:Server2k8
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Congrats! You have taken your first step into a larger world.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    What's that they say about the journey of a thousand miles? Oh, right, it begins with a single drink. Big conrats on the pass, James, and have a great weekend. drunken_smilie.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats and good luck on the next one! Just out of curiosity - why did you decide to get into Cisco when there isn't much use for it in your job?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Congrats on the pass!

ICND2 can be a bit tricky, especially if you aren't into doing router configurations on a regular basis. Take your time and you'll rock that one too though!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! :D
    Just out of curiosity - why did you decide to get into Cisco when there isn't much use for it in your job?
    Being a network ops security guy, my domain is in the security systems and appliances, such as firewalls, IDS/IPS, log collection/management, SIEM, etc. The routers and switches are the domain of the R/S people, and I don't have much need to get into them for my job functions. Where I work the CCNA is the minimum required education level for R/S and CCNP is preferred. This year I'm using Cisco (and Juniper) certs to add an understanding of R/S to my InfoSec knowledge and skills. This is a path I recommend for everyone who wishes to work in network security.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Thanks, I will definitely take your advice.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice work on a fine certification
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Congrats JD! You will have your CCNA and CCNP before you know it!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    rampagerampage Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    congrats !!!!!
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    JDMurray wrote: »

Being a network ops security guy, my domain is in the security systems and appliances, such as firewalls, IDS/IPS, log collection/management, SIEM, etc. The routers and switches are the domain of the R/S people, and I don't have much need to get into them for my job functions. Where I work the CCNA is the minimum required education level for R/S and CCNP is preferred. This year I'm using Cisco (and Juniper) certs to add an understanding of R/S to my InfoSec knowledge and skills. This is a path I recommend for everyone who wishes to work in network security.

R&S is the foundation of it all, what good is your Voice/Wireless/Security if you don't understand the foundation that these specialties rely on? I'd pick a straight R&S CCIE for a job over a Voice or Security IE any day for that very reason.

I just completed a wireless project across three sites, i'm not a "wireless" guy but I was certainly able to design and implement R&S foundation for the new WLAN infrastructure to sit and communicate over. I actually really enjoy R&S a lot and when the time comes I will specialize but for now, i'm good being a heavier R&S guy than say Voice/Security/Wireless. With that said, of course I have to manage Voice and Security as well.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations JD!! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man! I think the ICND1/2 knowledge is definitely applicable no matter what you do. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    rwdplzrwdplz Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »

It's true a saw a lot of people saying they want to go to security using only CEH, but not, the network it so important including servers Widnows/Linux, something very simple, you understand how to manage DNS and you can make a lot a of damage in security.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man!
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JD, are you taking Juniper certs this year too? It'd be cool if you did a review comparing them, minding the nda of course.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Good luck on ICND2!
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    JD, are you taking Juniper certs this year too? It'd be cool if you did a review comparing them, minding the nda of course.
    Yes, at least the JNCIA-JunOS, and if I can bum an SRX100 off someone for a while I'll try the JNCIS-SEC as well. I'll see if they are worth comparing or are too apples-n-oranges to bother.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63