Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring 640

jwalk33jwalk33 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am attempting to study for MS exam 70-640, I'm using Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring 640 in PDF format.

Problem 1: I cannot find exercise # 1 or exercise # 2. (What do I name the 1st server, SERVER01 ?)

Problem 2: Why doesn't this book/PDF contain step-by-step instructions for setting up the 2 servers that it says is required? (What IP configurations should I use etc...)

NOTE: I'm trying to setup the lab environment on 2 Virtualbox VMs running MS Server 08 Enterprise 32bit, is this feasible ?

Either I'm missing something here or this study material lacks some key points for absolute noobs!

Thanks,
Jwalk33

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Havent read the book mate, but go ahead and choose whatever name you want. Just remember to use the name you specified in future exercises. The book may assume some knowledge and skip some steps, once you get things going you'll be able to figure out any missing steps easily. Keep at it!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Is this Microsoft Press? If you read through the chapter, it will take you through all the steps. It starts the chapter off with what server you need to create and what to call it, and how to create it. Then you read the chapter, and then the exercise's at the end will take you through what you just learned.

I just called my primary domain my company name, and then called the other domains companies that I have worked with.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • jwalk33jwalk33 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

I think I found out the problem, the PDF formatted version of this book I found on the internet and I think its missing certain pages.

Thanks,
    Jwalk33
    Hi again,

Problem confirmed, it was missing certain pages.

Thanks again!
    Jwalk33
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If youre doing 32bit then this means you arent using R2. I would definitely use R2.
  • Irfan_AliIrfan_Ali Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jwalk33 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am attempting to study for MS exam 70-640, I'm using Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring 640 in PDF format.

Problem 1: I cannot find exercise # 1 or exercise # 2. (What do I name the 1st server, SERVER01 ?)

Problem 2: Why doesn't this book/PDF contain step-by-step instructions for setting up the 2 servers that it says is required? (What IP configurations should I use etc...)

NOTE: I'm trying to setup the lab environment on 2 Virtualbox VMs running MS Server 08 Enterprise 32bit, is this feasible ?

Either I'm missing something here or this study material lacks some key points for absolute noobs!

Thanks,
    Jwalk33

First i want to say that you have t use Win server 2008 R2 mean the latest version that can support Hyper than here you can do every thing easy
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, you get what you pay for. :)
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also agree to use the R2 version. There is enough differences in standard and R2 to cause major problems with the exam if you get those questions. For a list of changes, Google "What's new in Windows Server 2008 R2" and look at the Technet article (should be the first link).

Good luck!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

This book does not say I have to use R2, does this mean I will have problems when sitting for 70-640?

I do know that the other 2 certs might require R2 to support the Hyper exercises

Thanks,
    Jwalk33
    The 70-640 exam has been updated to include content of R2. You can't walk into the testing centre and say "I'm here to sit the 70-630 standard" It's one Collective test.

There are group policy Changes, DFS, AD Recycle bin, etc. That will confuse you and potentially cause you to fail the exam. Just start with R2. The CBT nugget videos I am using are R1 (Lets call it R1 for now), however, when R2 came out, they updated and added 6 more videos to the end to talk about the additions.

Head out and buy the R2 book. Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory (Self-Paced Training Kits): Dan Holme, Nelson Ruest, Danielle Ruest, Jason Kellington: 9780735651937: Amazon.com: Books
    Thanks for the valuable info kjo.

Do you know if there are any disadvantages to buying the hardcover vs paperback? The hardcover is cheaper on Amazon. Why are they both so cheap, this somewhat raises suspicion for me?

Jwalk33
    Less people buy hardcover as it isn't as easy to hold in bed ??? Not sure why, I always prefer softcover.
    Ok and thanks! I just rented it for 120 days, usually takes me about a month or 2 to study for certs so this should be plenty enough time.

Jwalk33
    Hi all,

I've been studying for the 70-640 cert, however I do realize that there is also exams for 2012 MS server exams. Should I or do I have to keep on the 70-640 path and the other exams, I'm just getting a grasp of AD/ADDS which I'm really enjoying.

On the other hand I don't want to waste time with the 70-6?? certs if I don't have to. Which cert do you all feel will provide the most short term benefits as well as long term.

Here is what my current path is below:

70-640: MCTS: Active Directory, Configuring
    70-642: MCTS: Network Infrastructure, Configuring
    70-646: MCITP: Server Administrator

Just rented the updated study guide (R2 version) for 70-640 and enjoying the 1st 2 chapters so far.

Thanks,
    Jwalk33
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Probably why you found free PDF version is that it was pre-R2. Best bet is to lab using R2 and actually use Hyper-V for labbing..I was at a BIG disadvantage taking these tests as I took 640 and 642 before the change and they not only added R2 but changed the format of the tests somewhat. Be sure to lab a lot and while studying DNS for the 640 get the 642 book out and look at the stuff on DNS there as that helped me.
    You should go ahead and do the 2008 path and then if needed take upgrade exam for 2012.

If you don't know about Hyper-V yet the 70-643 exam covers it (but it is also on the 646 exam) and the 646 book might cover it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Thanks earwood,

What I have for lab is HP ProBook 4710s, 4GB RAM, 300 GB HDD, 2.10 GHz CPU, OS= MS Server 08 64-BIT R2 Enterprise. I'm running Virtualbox with 2 VMs one running MS Server 08 64-BIT R2 Standard Full and the other running same OS but with Core installed. Core I gave 512 MB and the other VM 1 GB RAM. They both have 30 Gigs of HDD space.

I read in the begining of the R2 version of the study guie that I will be needing 2 member servers as well. Of the complete 4 servers, 2 will have 1 GB RAM assigned, while the other 2 will be given 512 MBs a piece. Leaving 1 GB for the host machine (HP ProBook 4710s).

Do you see any short comings to my lab setup from what I've described thus far? I also have a older HP Proliant ML350 G4 server that has 2 Intel Xeon processors - 3.2GHz (Nocona, 800MHz front side bus, 1.0MB Level-2 cache, INT3, Socket 603, with EMT64T extensions and hyper-threading) , 4 GBs of RAM (but i have 2 more GBs i can add if need be from another server that i have).

I rather use the Probook since its much quieter and consumes less energy for my labs, plus the Proliand doesnt support VT from what I can see, or do I need this at this point for the 70-640 R2 ?

Thanks,
    Jwalk33
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Setup a lab using Microsoft Azure, you can get it for 3 months for free. Yes there is a huge difference between 2008 and 2008R2
    Thanks for the info/tip netsysllc,

I viewed the website and tutorial on you tube and think its awesome, something I will play around with but not for this go round. I might want to keep my labs that i create longer than 3 months and my financial resources are not all that great at this point in life to purchase a subscription.

Jwalk33
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jwalk33
    your probook will probably be good enough. The VT will be important as Hyper-V requires it (it's on the 643, but you're going to see it on 646 even though 643 only required to take 647). I don't know if you'll need your other server unless you just use it for your member servers to keep stuff running faster.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.