Options

Remembering Raid... Unique memory Question

jdog29jdog29 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does Anybody have a unique way of remebering what Raid #'s are what? Like mirrored, Stripped data across drives ABC drives... that sort of thing. I usually forget which raid array is what. I would like to remember them instead of having to reference this time after time.

Also just wondering if raid can be set up on newer SATA drives?

Thanks for all your input guys.

JDog29

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    There are too many levels of Raid to remember them all. The most common are 0, also called stripping, 1 which is a mirror set, and 5, which uses a seperate disk for parity. You can combine different levels as well. And Yes, Sata works with Raid. Most Sata drives I see are advertised for Raid purposes. You can see a great tutorial with all the Raid levels, here.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    jdog29jdog29 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Ricka182 for that info and link. I will go check it out, it looks pretty cool. That was exactly what I was looking for, you answered my question perfectly. Good Day.

JDog29
  • Options
    Happy to help.... :)
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RAID 5 uses distributed parity (across all drives) not a single drive for parity.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    The retired (for the most part) raid level 3 was the one that used a dedicated drive for parity.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    lordy wrote:
    RAID 5 uses distributed parity (across all drives) not a single drive for parity.

icon_redface.gif My bad. (duh)