using Differencing Disk hyper v test lab

rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
I plan on using a Samsung 256GB SSD for my lab (it has fast read and write - over 500mb and 100l iops).

the plan would be to use Server 2012 with hyper v as the host.

I would then create a read only parent VM Server 2012 (I hope i am using right terminogly as not really studied hyper v yet).

the following VMs would be created using Differencing Disk and would be like this

Server 2012 - DC1
Server 2012 - DC2
Server 2012 - SCCM 12 SP1
Server 2012 - Exchange 2013
Server 2012 - WSUS
Server 2012 - Lync 2013
Server 2012 - SQL 2012

I am hoping that be using Differencing Disk the above should fit on the one disk - i know its a lot to run but hoping the SSD will cope and its just for a testing lab to learn/study

any feedback most welcome

Comments

• pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    It will be really really slow but should be doable* (Depends on the Hardware), there is a guy who had a similar approach for a Vmware Lab setup ESX Virtualization
    Only concern will be the IO which will be a bottleneck as you are running SQL/Exchange/WSUS/DC together. Most Virtual environment run similar workloads
    In the end you will never know until you try, and who knows who may learn something in the process
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    thank you, the spec of the machine will be an i7 with 32gb of ram, i may add another SSD if needed.

I have noticed on some labs people add multiple network cards - what is advantage to having more physcial network cards over virtual network cards?