Options

Verizon FIOS At Home - Thoughts?

darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
For 99.95$ / Month, I have the opportunity in my area to get 150 Download / 65 Upload Verizon FIOS.

The irony is my 1841 will no longer have the throughput to work with those theoretical maximums Verizon boasts.

Any experience with their service?
:twisted:

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have their triple play and love it! 30/30 and only had three issues in four or five years, both were wiring issue down the street.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DO IT

I can't speak to their service personally, but I've heard mostly good things, ie they're no worse than the average provider. That speed in this country for that price is crazy. I'm surprised you haven't jumped on it. I'm paying around that for 50/10 from Comcast, and 100/20 would cost $199.99/mo (which is really more like $230 month after everything that gets added in, ie taxes, fees, modem rental).
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I've been using it for a while now, I canceled my tv and home phone and just stream and google voice it all now.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I had the FiOS and loved it! Never any issues and speeds were great though I never actually did any tests to see if I was getting the advertised. Too bad I had to move. I would love to have FiOS still.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't care for the price, I only pay 35 a month for cable internet at the moment. I got rid of cable and land line a while back also.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    It's great but their hardware and support of it is pretty bad. There's big FIOS user2user support community that can help you deal with many problems though.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    be careful with your bill particularly at renewal time because they may try to sneak something extra in. The did it to me and I dropped and switched to Comcast
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wish FIOS was available in my area. Damn comcast icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    be careful with your bill particularly at renewal time because they may try to sneak something extra in. The did it to me and I dropped and switched to Comcast
    That's kind of like switching your truck for a van because you're tired of spending so much on gas.

I'm not saying I like it, but I've yet to see an ISP who doesn't do it. Comcast is no exception.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just got my Ubiquiti AP delivered, now to find a nice, high speed, high capability, wired router icon_twisted.gif

I hope my neighbors ( apartment ) don't mind the throughput of this;

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti Networks UniFi UAP-PRO Enterprise WiFi System: Computers & Accessories

I've put a single one in the middle of a 11,000 Sqft industrial facility that beat out the previous 2-3 Cisco AP's (we're now storing them since I've made the first serious jab at my "Pure Cisco Shop's" Cisco-ness.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was told Verizon blocks certain ports (SSH) from leaving the local LAN - Anyone have issues with this?
  • Options
    I do if it's true, depending on the ports and how hard the workaround is. At the end of the day, I would make some sacrifices for that kind of bandwidth.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I'm not saying I like it, but I've yet to see an ISP who doesn't do it. Comcast is no exception.

Verizon didn't do it for the contract at my old house or the one for my apartment, just the new house. If Comcast does it, I'll switch again.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We live in the middle of nowhere, but the small, rural phone company got a grant to run fiber to the houses in three counties, so we lucked out. Going from an underpreforming 384/128 dsl that would go out every week or so to an 8mb fiber (same price) was a huge bump up in speed.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    50/25 Mbps internet, phone, TV 79.99 could care less about TV but I have grandkids that an old softy can't refuse otherwise it would be 69.99
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have fios and I love it. I have the 75/35 with tv/voice. I thnk I pay $180 total for all 3.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I looked into getting Verizon FiOS a while back. Unfortunately, they do not currently service my area. So I will have to make due with my 18/1.5 from AT&T. They've jacked up their prices the past couple of years. With that said, I've still had a better experience with them than Comcast. I'll never go back to Comcast.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was getting 40/40 in Tokyo for 40 dollars a month, for 60 dollars more I could get 100/100. Only when the Sendai Earthquake happened did we have interrupted service, that was the only outage we experienced in our 4 years in japan. Their internet is boss period.

My dad has FIOS and says its stupid fast compared to other ISP's he has used.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi