Options

CPU P4 Fan question

viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a question...I have a P4 CPU 2.8 800FSB Socket 478 in my pc (ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard). I just ordered a P4 3.4 CPU and was wondering if the fan that came with the 2.8 CPU (Intel Fan) will be enough to keep the 3.4GHz CPU cool. I did not ordered the CPU with fan because they did not have it.

Should the 3.4 CPU be good with the 2.8GHz fan?
CCNP Security - DONE!
CCNP R&S - In Progress...
CCIE Security - Future...

Comments

• Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Depends on the core really. Same bus speed so it will really come down to wether its a prescott or north. Prescotts run hotter, and I believe the P4 is just a prescott core, is your 2.8 a 1mb cache? If it is then it is a prescott core.

I would check the intel site and see how different the temps are. For intel CPU's I always go aftermarket anyways cause I am gonne OC the hell out of em icon_lol.gif
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    hmmm, also do you know what socket type the 3.4 is? I beleive the socket 478 3.4 P4 is an extreme edition, which will defeinetely need a different HSF, otherwise they are LGA775, which use a different HSF as well, at this point I would say you need a new HSF.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    fualkerfualker Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you want to test it out I would download motherboard monitor and check the running temp. I'm sure it will start to overheat once you put it under load.
  • Options
    hmmm, also do you know what socket type the 3.4 is? I beleive the socket 478 3.4 P4 is an extreme edition, which will defeinetely need a different HSF, otherwise they are LGA775, which use a different HSF as well, at this point I would say you need a new HSF.

The new CPU is socket 478. I made sure of that before I bought it.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I have two of the same mobos (Asus P4C800-E) at 2.8GHz. I have a Zalman CPU cooler on one and a super-thermo-somthingorother CPU cooler on the other. For my high-end gaming system I also have a Zalman cooler on my ATI AIW 9800 Pro too.

It's not going to hurt anything to buy a $50 Helluva-lot-better-than-stock CPU cooler for your rig.

Make sure the mobo supports the CPU upgrade, and be sure to have the latest mobo drivers and firmware updates installed. I believe that the P4C800 only supports up to a 3.2GHz P4.

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.HTM
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:

Make sure the mobo supports the CPU upgrade, and be sure to have the latest mobo drivers and firmware updates installed. I believe that the P4C800 only supports up to a 3.2GHz P4.

I have the latest chipset drivers and just recently updated my BIOS. I checked the Intel site and Asus site before I ordered the CPU. The P4C800 Deluxe i875P chipset will max-out at 3.4GHz.

Anyone got an experience with the Vantec Aeroflow 2 Copper Core CPU cooling fan?
    CCNP Security - DONE!