Options

My turn for a Resume Critique

MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
Alright, not looking to head home until June/July at the EARLIEST however posting my resume up for critique, looking for constructive criticism and areas I can improve. Hoping to add my PMP by the time it is ready to go home but this reflects my current situation. Looking to hopefully get a management or project manager job, PM preferred, so let me know how I could better form it to fit that goal. Obviously company/location not disclosed is just for this, anyone who wants the resume with my real info for potential jobs please let me know.

JOHN SMITH
Email

PROFESSIONAL SUMMARY

9 years of experience in defense contracting working in roles with a wide range of responsibilities including Systems Administration, Systems Engineering, Virtualization, Networking, SAN Administration, Project Management and Technical Training. Exposure to C-level executives and flag level officers discussing and forming project goals, timelines and budget as well as developing and giving high level presentations on projects and technology. Worked independently with frequent travel abroad and to remote locations for both project management and technical implementations. Experience developing and implementing ITIL practices and organizational structures.
Open to both relocation and roles that include frequent travel. Open to both continuing to work in defense contracting as well as moving to a more long term private sector position.

EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS

Currently hold a DoD Secret Clearance with inactive TS/SSBI.

Masters of Business Administration, IT Management - Western Governors University
*Graduate May 2013

B.S., Information Technology: Network Administration — Western Governors University 2009

Microsoft Certified System Administrator Server 2008, 2003, 2000

CompTIA A+, Network+, Project+, Security+

DOD 8570 Compliant for Information Assurance Professional Level 2

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

Systems Engineer 2012-Present
Company Not Disclosed, Location Not Disclosed

Worked with a team of fellow engineers supporting a joint forces domain used to support NATO troops. Support included work on Domain Controllers, Exchange Servers, Video Archivers, SAN, Cisco Switches, Application Servers, VMWare vSphere environment. Operating Systems to include ESXi, ESX, Windows Server 2008R2/2003, Windows 7, Windows XP. Maintained IA compliance for network security policies.

Implemented cross domain solution that allowed video traffic to cross networks with different classifications without allowing further traffic through the use of video encoders, set top boxes and video capture cards.

Coordinated projects to implement and maintain remote video archivers and domain controllers at forward operating posts. Projects included budget proposals, scheduling and training tasks. Ensured customer satisfaction with installs when completed.

Created documentation on budgeting, scheduling and network/system architecture.

Met with key personnel including flag officers to inform them of system status and coordinate efforts on joint projects.

Systems Engineer 2010-2012

•Served as Project Management Liason for department when bringing in new customers to colocation facility. Worked with customer to develop hardware, software, network and support needs. Developed budgets, timelines and tasking to move customers in to datacenter with minimal downtime while effectively utilizing internal resources across various projects concurrently.

•Worked in Army colocation data center supporting several domains with over 200 servers including both physical servers and virtual servers running in vSphere and Redhat Enterprise Virtualization. Operating systems supported included Server 2008/2008R2, Server 2003, Linux and HPUX. Managed a VDI infrastructure for internal users. Administered Citrix XenAPP and XenDesktop servers to provide remote application and server use.

•Maintained server IA compliance. Received reports on non-compliant servers from Information Assurance department and developed plans for bringing those systems in to compliance.

•Updated template implementation system saving $11,000 in labor during customer on boarding.

•Worked with change management board to ensure that new customer requirements and solutions would fit in our configuration and changes made to accommodate customers were implemented without affecting current customers.
System Administrator 2009-2010

•Sole System Administrator reporting to Director of Information Technology and Chief Financial Officer. Tasked with maintaining domain including Domain Controllers, Exchange Servers, Application Servers, File Servers, OSX Servers and vSphere spread across 3 states and remote users.

•Interfaced with software development team to meet hardware and network needs of new application development and testing.

•Acted as high level support to desktop team when necessary.

•Served as Project Manager on several projects, including large inventory management upgrade. As the PM on the inventory project I was responsible for developing project requirements based on input from the procurement department, developing a budget for the project, overseeing software development, managing technology and human resources and developing timeline and tasking.

System Implementation Engineer 2006-2009

•Working at the Space Age Warfare Command (SPAWAR) in Norfolk, VA, under the direction of the Project Engineer, to install, upgrade and maintain various platforms at Navy and Marine Corps Air Stations and aboard ships/submarines. Insured all systems maintained IA compliance per InfoSec requirements.

•Tested and Implemented HBSS system to meet timeline established by Department of the Navy.

•Served as Project Manager on projects implementing and upgrading supply and aircraft management systems at locations all over the United States and Europe. Traveled 75% of the time.

•Worked on developing virtualized solution to mitigate hardware usage and save over 30% on each installations hardware costs and improve redundancy saving over $27,000.

•Technical responsibilities included database design, database administration, database migration, exchange server setup, domain management, training system administrators, troubleshooting network issues, testing security patches and disaster recovery.

Service Desk Technical Lead 2004-2006

•Worked at the Navy/Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI) Service Desk in Norfolk, VA supporting the largest secure network in the world with over 500,000 users.

•Responsibilities included resolving issues escalated from Tier I and II agents, monitoring agent call handling, identifying root cause of problem trends, training agents and supporting VIP customers.

•Promoted from Server Desk Agent I after 4 months of displaying a strong grasp on the support system, the ability to help fellow agents, high customer satisfaction levels and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Regarding your present position, you aren't clear about whether you developed the cross-domain solution or it was already in use by the company and you were part of a team that implemented it.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Michael2 wrote: »
    Regarding your present position, you aren't clear about whether you developed the cross-domain solution or it was already in use by the company and you were part of a team that implemented it.

Good call, I did not design it however I did make improvements, so I need to figure out how to phrase that in there.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA