Options

Best value for a 1Gbps lab switch?

drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
Hey Guys,
I currently have 2 x 2950-24's and 1 x 2950-12.

I am doing more work with VMware, and I would like to start upgrading my lab switches to support 1Gbps. I don't need too many ports (12 would work), I just want to make sure it fits in my 19" Star Tech rack with all of my other Cisco gear.

Is there a best value recommendation for a 1Gbps rack switch that would also help for CCNA level study? I don't currently plan on upgrading my Cisco certs past the CCNA, but would like something that I can use for future versions of the CCNA and CCNA-Security.

I've been starting to look at the 3500 and 3750 series.

Thanks,
Drew

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm, I've been digging around and the 2970 looks like it could be the right fit.

Drew
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    For CCNA studies you don't need anything more than what you already have. If you are looking to get into a switch that has gig ports, it's going to cost you a mint. Used 3560 switches tend to go for at minimum $400 or so on eBay (Buy it Now prices of course.) You would be better off getting a gigabit workgroup switch, like a basic Netgear or something if all you want is to increase throughput for your VMware lab.
  • Options
    That's a great point, I could save a boatload of cash by just using a 1 Gbps cheap switch for some traffic (iSCSI, etc).

Thanks,
    Drew
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    If you don't have a need to do VLANs or anything, then yes that is the best bet.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are stuck on having Cisco gear - you could also take a look at the 500G.

I'm actually in the market for a 1gb lab switch as well, hope we don't outbid each other on the same thing icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    If you can buy something else rather than Cisco just for your VMWare lab, I can recommend HP 2824. It's a fully managed switch and CLI is similar to Cisco. It's not the best switch for iSCSI in production (can't handle flow control and Jumbo frames at the same time), but more than enough for a lab.
  • Options
    TritiumTritium Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Drew,

If you're looking for a cheaper gig switch. Check out the Cisco sg300 series. I have the 10 port and it's a great little switch. Is has a decent gui, as well as a very good Cisco command line interface similar to IOS. I use it for my home network and use 2950s for my lab.
    2014 Cert Goals:
    ICND1 [X]
    Done!
    ICND2 [ ] Workin on it
    My CCNA Lab...A work in Progress