Options

Where do you begin?

huffman142huffman142 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I live in the Charleston, WV area, which is not known for numerous job opportunities, but when I'm looking at tech openings, they all require 1-3 years experience. I'm switching from another field and don't have that experience yet. Where did you all look for your first job? There has to be some way to get your foot in the door, but I'm not seeing how by viewing job postings. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You have to just apply anyone and find someone to take a chance on you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take the time to create a resume and host it on Monster, LinkedIn, CareerBuilder, Dice, Indeed, etc.

Let them find you, let them do the work. Go out to the resume once a week and update to keep the resume fresh for when the recruiter query. Don't let pride get in the way, if you know some people personally ask for their help to get an in. Also start studying something IT related. I don't know your back ground so it's impossible for me to give you sound advice, but think about a certain technology that interest you and start to research.

I know of a lot of jobs in my area dying for people with VB knowledge, even without production experience.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I agree with N2. Also look at volunteermatch.com and search for IT. You might find an organization that needs some help at night, or the weekends, etc. That is a great way to gain experience.
  • Options
    huffman142huffman142 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm finishing up my bachelor's this semester, and I'm probably going to do the CompTIA A+ certification to have some type of IT training on my resume. I'm switching fields from biology to IT, and I'm starting a Master's program in information systems. I know I'll learn a lot of foundation knowledge in the master's program, but I would like to get some working knowledge for resume experience to offer with the degree and certifications.

I'll check that site out. Thanks for the input.