Options

Need some advice on "getting my foot through the door"

jazidingjaziding Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum recently and this is my first post. I'm glad I stumbled upon this community and hope I can find some valuable information about the IT industry.

I'm currently finishing up my bachelors in MIS this summer and in the process of finding an internship in my related field. The problem is that as hard as it is to find a job, a lot of the places I applied to require students to have at least 1 more year in school. This pretty much makes me not qualified for many of these positions.

I really need an internship to get my foot through the door because I have no experience whatsoever. At this point people are telling me to look for a full-time because I'm graduating soon. How am I going to find a full-time with no experience? I've been sending out my resume like flyers and I feel pretty lost and demoralized at this point. I'm wondering if you guys could give me some advice on this situation.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Volunteer at a charity organization, hang out at some local technical user groups (there should be at least a few around the Bay Area, given the Silicon Valley presence here), and run your own little consulting practice for really small businesses. Having a degree and one or few IT certifications are nice, but a track record which shows your initiative and "hitting-the-ground-running" has more value on paper in my opinion.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have any certs? Just put your resume out their on a bunch of job boards (ie. dice,monster,careerbuilder etc.). Im sure you will be contacted by various companies. You can also try craigslist.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I've been applying on my school's career website, interbound, internmatch, indeed...etc. Would you guys still recommend me to look for internships or full time?

Can you also link me to where I can find volunteer work and local technical groups? I'd appreciate it!
  • Options
    sammysamesammysame Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Firstly, don't get your foot through the door, may be aim to get our foot in the door...icon_lol.gif

secondly; most employers only give a secondary thought to your degree, their primary concern is matching their needs to your proficient IT skills and experience.

Third, anyone who employs you will pay you according to their eval of what they think you know. Since, you;re just starting out, their expectations and pay will be low.

Fourth, first job is just your foot in the door.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Ah that's what I meant when I said to get my "foot through the door". I know my first job is going to be low pay, but pay is the last thing on my mind right now. I value experience more than the money because I know the money will come later.

I'm just finding myself caught in between not knowing what to look for:
    -An internship where I probably won't be qualified due to my close graduation date.
    or..
    -A full time where it's going to be impossible for me to obtain when I have completely no experience related to my field.

I don't want to find myself unemployed and lost after I graduate, that's all.
  • Options
    Also, I want to create another thread for critiquing my resume, but I can't seem to make an attachment for it. I tired doc and pdf.
  • Options
    xzaxza Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    want mine in doc format so you can just delete my content and put in your content? mine is formatted pretty nicely. I don't know how to PM so if you just want to pm me go ahead and I'll send it.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do you have a home lab? That is a great way to get some hands on experience. also since you dont graduate until summer, try to get a few certs by then. it will significantly help your search.

Regarding the internship, you mention that they want someone who has been in school longer? I would say still apply. If you are a senior maybe they make an exception. Otherwise, try to find full time/part time employment, or volunteer until you build up your experience. Schools are great places to volunteer your time as they typically have lots of technical needs and are understaffed. good luck.
  • Options
    xza - I don't believe I have the ability to PM either.

pinky - I don't have any certs right now and I'm thinking I should go for the A+ cert first. I did some research on here and I believe it's good basic entry level cert, correct?

In any case, thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    I found it, it's at the top to the left, I totally missed it. I'll send it.
  • Options
    evidently you have PMs turned off, meaning you can't receive them. or they're disabled because you're a junior member. either way idk, if u want to post your email I'll email you.
  • Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    Internships are great. Also, keep in mind that although a place might list certain requirements it doesn't mean that they won't hire someone who doesn't meet every single one to a "T".