Options

New Job Offer

dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
Not really a new job. My boss asked if I was interested in transistioning from contractor to fulltime. Fulltime would mean ~$140k/year + pension at a cushy job for life.

Gave it some serious thought. Checked to see how it fit with my longterm goals, was it better than my current goals, how realistic is my goals, could I still achieve my goals if I took this detour, how close am I to my goals, etc.

It was a tough decision, but ultimately turned it down.

Moral of the story: Don't chase after money. Make sure it fits into your goals, but be flexible enough to change your goals if the right opportunity presents itself.
2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
"Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman

Comments

• Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow,

I seriously don't know if I could turn down 140k per year, of course the most I have ever made since I started in IT was 44k per year. I have read most of your story posted on the forums here, and I have to say, you are one of the people I am doing my level best to emulate.

Good luck, and props on sticking to your goals. I wish you the best on attaining all of them.

Gene
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    You must be making good money now, but wow that's more money than I ever imagined ever making in my life.
  • Options
    jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Six dangerous myths about pay

Myth #1: labor rates are the same as labor costs.
    Myth #2: cutting labor rates will lower labor costs.
    Myth #3: labor costs represent a large portion of a company's total costs.
    Myth #4: keeping labor costs low creates a potent and sustainable competitive edge.
    Myth #5: individual incentive pay improves performance.
    Myth #6: people work primarily for the money.

See http://web.ku.edu/~jleemgt/MGMT%20419/Readings/Six%20dangerous%20myths%20about%20pay%20for%20post.pdf
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    jesseou812 wrote: »
    Six dangerous myths about pay

Myth #1: labor rates are the same as labor costs.
    Myth #2: cutting labor rates will lower labor costs.
    Myth #3: labor costs represent a large portion of a company's total costs.
    Myth #4: keeping labor costs low creates a potent and sustainable competitive edge.
    Myth #5: individual incentive pay improves performance.
    Myth #6: people work primarily for the money.

See http://web.ku.edu/~jleemgt/MGMT%20419/Readings/Six%20dangerous%20myths%20about%20pay%20for%20post.pdf

Partial myths. Not all dangerous, at all times, in all places. SMBs will tell you #1-4 are almost always true, #5 is usually true in production environment, #6 true for new college graduates =)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    biggene wrote: »
    Wow,

I seriously don't know if I could turn down 140k per year, of course the most I have ever made since I started in IT was 44k per year. I have read most of your story posted on the forums here, and I have to say, you are one of the people I am doing my level best to emulate.

Good luck, and props on sticking to your goals. I wish you the best on attaining all of them.

Gene

Keep in mind $140k in the NoVA area is probably the equivilent to $80k or so in Alabama.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep in mind $140k in the NoVA area is probably the equivilent to $80k or so in Alabama.

LOL,

Very true, but that's still double what I have made in the past.

Gene
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571

One of the things I enjoy about the south is the low COL. Where I'm at there was really no housing bubble. Groceries, gas, tangibles, intangibles, monthly bills...it's all relatively low.

Also I like the luster of breaking $100k because I feel like it means more in a semi-arbitrary yet still quantifiable way icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    biggene wrote: »
    I seriously don't know if I could turn down 140k per year, of course the most I have ever made since I started in IT was 44k per year.

It was tough decision. It was 1 of the best offers I've ever received. It was just really bad timing. If I had received such an offer 6-12 months ago, I would have accepted.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As someone who just turned down a job offer that could potentially yield $140-160K/year, I would give one advice - once the decision is made, don't look back and second-guess yourself...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Not really a new job. My boss asked if I was interested in transistioning from contractor to fulltime. Fulltime would mean ~$140k/year + pension at a cushy job for life.

Gave it some serious thought. Checked to see how it fit with my longterm goals, was it better than my current goals, how realistic is my goals, could I still achieve my goals if I took this detour, how close am I to my goals, etc.

It was a tough decision, but ultimately turned it down.

Moral of the story: Don't chase after money. Make sure it fits into your goals, but be flexible enough to change your goals if the right opportunity presents itself.

what were the goals that you couldn't achieve with this job?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah I'm curious to find out too, maybe he's a contractor now and makes more than $140k already or he wants to head towards Unified Comms or something...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Glad to see you sticking to your guns. You are right it's not always about the money.
  • Options
    what were the goals that you couldn't achieve with this job?

Stop working full time in 10-12 years.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmm I like this goal... I might have to make it part of my own set of goals :)