Options

Landed a new position

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Officially accepted a Data Analyst position with a health care provider. Great benefits, great culture, boss seems like a really cool guy. The interview was two data geeks going back and forth it was really a good time. I'll have the opportunity to resume using my SQL skills and really get into Excel and Access heavily. He also made note about VB, I was completely honest and said I had very little actually VB development knowledge. All he said is "we will have to do something about that". (In a very kind playful way)

I don't want to keep harping on the MBA but having those business skills really helps even in a big time data driven position.

A big part of what I'll be doing is mining system data and comparing that to other system data to make sure all the fields are parsing correctly etc. (My description was high level)

I plan on staying at this job for a while now. I'm out of management and have a better family / work blend which is critical for me. No more 80 hours a week.

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    That's awesome man, big congrats and sounds like this job will be great for you and the fam! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Thanks a lot! Appreciate the gratz!

I hope and pray this gig last a while. Interviewing can be so exhausting.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations. I hope this gig turns out to be what you have really been wanting.
  • Options
    ^5 VL Thanks I really appreciate that.
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations. Hope you're few steps closer to your goals. icon_thumright.gif
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome news. The plus is that you have the better family/work balance. I can only pray that the next gig I land is the same, I really don't like not feeling like I have enough time to spend with my kids.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Conrats on the new position. Sounds like a great environment to be in.
  • Options
    nXPLOSinXPLOSi Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Good news to start the weekend with! icon_cool.gif
    Twitter - ClarkFx
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats man!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats on the sweet job! Looks like it's what you were looking for. great work!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well done, hope its lost of fun :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone

I'll be honest management wasn't my cup of tea. 3 - 4 years of trying to get into IT management only to find out you don't like it. Has that ever happen to anyone? I'm almost embarrassed to admit it.

Geeesh anyway I am really excited about this position. I love data and figuring things out. I should start next Thursday - Friday.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was managing people in my last job but thankfully only for 12 months.

My view is I like managing technical staff working on a project that I am hands on with. But I don't want to get to the point that its all paper work and politics. I like to have a connection to what is happening. I hated the proformance management and endless meeting over how to interpreted contracts.

So yes don't think I will go back to management for a while yet, very glad I have done it and experience was great. And I have to admit working with global Financial banks and oil companies looks great on the CV. But happy to be back with my head stuck in to switches and routers all day.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, Pat!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gratz man! Yeah, we all hope this gig lasts longer, tired of you saying congratulations to you! icon_wink.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    Awesome, congrats man!
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    icon_cheers.gif Congratulations!

May you be content with this.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations N2! I hope you really enjoy this one and the balance is better.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Congrats icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com