Options

Resume Critique please

EarendilEarendil Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, I am applying for entry-level IT positions. I was just wondering if my resume is enough to catch any employer's attention?

Edward Van Halen
5150 Mean Street l Pasadena, CA l womenandchildrenfirst@g

Seeking a Helpdesk position with opportunity for advancement

l Proficiency with Windows XP/Vista/7, Microsoft Office and basic network troubleshooting skills.
l In-depth knowledge and understanding of numerous software packages and operating systems.
l Strong organization skills and ability to prioritize multiple projects and objectives in a rapidly changing environment.
l Ability to communicate technical concepts into non-technical terms (and vice versa).
l Fluency in a foreign language.
Education

NATIONAL UNIVERSITY – (2012)
M.S. in Information Systems

CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY - (2010)
B.A. in Ethnic Studies
Technology Summary

Certifications:
A+

Systems:
Windows XP/Vista/7, Novell GroupWise, Mac OS X, iOS

Databases:
Justice Automated Data Exchange, Relational Databases

Software:
MS Project, MS Visio, MS Office, Adobe Photoshop

Projects
Master’s Research Project 2012 - CIS 620 (National University)
-Led a team of five students in the creation of a fictitious mobile application (NatWorld) using various Project Management techniques. -Developed use case diagram, data flow diagram, project schedule, budget, business case, and quality management plan using Microsoft Project and Visio. Selected Experience
Department of Justice -
Program Technician II (2003 to Present):
-Analyzing criminal and applicant files for background checks.
-Evaluating situations accurately and taking effective action.
-Continually researching and applying laws, rules, regulations, procedures, and policies.
-Performing arithmetic calculations with speed and accuracy.
-Utilizing excellent written and verbal communication skills to verify accurate data.

Comments

• Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    See how this works for you.

It has become recommended practice not to include an objective statement.

Organize your list of skills into two categories; Technical Skills and Qualifications, and Other Skills. In the first, list operating systems, software, databases, and your A+ certification. Do not say that you are proficient or have in-depth understanding of them. Just list them. In the next category, you can list the other skills you have. Also specify the foreign language that you are referring to and whether you read, speak, and write it.

List employment before education. You could list some acheivements at each school as well, for instance your GPA if it was good. I'm not sure what "Technology Summary" means.

Create a category titled Achievements at the end and use that for your project.