Options

Odom book strategy.

headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
For those that used Odom's book and passed do you think if I focused on his "key points" and configurations I will be good to go?

I mean of course read the rest but not worry about every intricate detail he goes into. Cause as we know, it's quite the blockbuster.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice not worrying about all the details. As they say, the devil is in the details.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read the whole bookk, skimmed it really, in a few days. Just to absorb the skope of it. Then i went thru a second time with a notebook and read and wrote down most points, key or not. Then i began the practice tests and then reread chapters i did poorly at. Net result, i passed the CCENT.
  • Options
    draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have not passed yet but I just want to echo that the strategy I'm using to study Odom's CCNA book 1 is exactly the same as Node Man's. Don't be afraid to reread anything you didn't understand.

Node Man, did you buy that premium practice test they had listed in the back of the book's cd case or did you just use what came on the CD? I'd buy that ExSim everyone here raves about but $100 is pushing it on what any practice test should cost.
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Draught,
    Just what came with the cd. I also tried to lab as much as i could on the Free Cisco Lab website. That was very helpful.
  • Options
    dcren21dcren21 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @ OP

I actually read his book word for word. What I did was read one chapter a day, and as I read i highlighted the information that I thought was key. Then before I read a chapter the next day, i skimmed over what I had highlighted the previous day. I found that helped me retain a lot of the key information. Then again ymmv. Good luck.
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (Start Date 8/1/12) : Transferred | Required | In Progress | Completed
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INT1 BVC1 RIT1 INC1 CUV1 BOV1 GAC1 HHT1 DHV1 CSV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 SBT1 RGT1 CTV1 CNV1 CQV1 COV1 AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1 MGC1 BNC1
  • Options
    spyder manspyder man Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is exactly what I am doing right now, however, I am doing 2-3 chapters a day. Going back over the material from the previous day is key.