Options

Career change into IT

pbchief2pbchief2 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking start a career in the IT profession. I have worked in the Land Surveying profession from 1997 to 2009, with sporadic jobs in the same for the last 4 years. For the past 2 years I have worked as first a contractor, then a employee of a Field Tech provider. In that time I have earned an A+. I had decided this week to try an move into IT. At the same time it is hard to leave the career that have devoted so much time learning. I was recently asked to come and work for a Surveying company for at least the rest of 2013.

So now for the questions.

1. Are Certs with varied field experience enough to break into the IT market? A+, Network+, CCNA, Linux+ are the current Certs I'm planning on this year.

2. Does the pay widely vary for IT according to the geographic area?

3. How adversely would the year off from the IT field for the next year affect my future prospects?

I know you hear these question again and again. My handler at the company I work for right now make it seem like a really rosy picture, if I have the Certs. I just want the opinion of those that have been there.

Comments

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Career switcher here. I moved from Education to IT about a year ago. To answer your questions:

1. It depends on the market you're in. If you're willing to move into a different market, it could increase your chances. Experience will always trump certs. Certs are definitely a good thing to have, if you have them. Certs alone will not garnish you a job, but it does certainly help. I will say in the DC Metro area there is a ton of federal contractor jobs. They seem to be more concerned with certs than experience, so in markets like that you should be ok.

2. Pay will definitely vary depending on geographic location and cost of living. DC metro has higher salaries for entry-level positions but the cost of living is much higher.

3. Gaps in employment are a tough sell to prospective employers. Sounds like you're still debating whether or not take the plunge into IT. I wouldnt say it would kill future prospects, but it could hinder it. Remember experience is king in IT, especially an established history of it.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    Anthony23Anthony23 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah actually the IT is a great way to success the life and make your future bright i prefer to studying on IT and become a IT professional in your life beause this is the only works which cannot end till the life's end and you can change your future by become a IT professional i am also IT expert and computer repairing...
  • Options
    tech_stonetech_stone Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also wonder about my situation and I solicit your advice as to my next move. I have been a teacher for over 7 years. While in college I was a computer technician which involved responding to technical problems. I fixed hard drives, motherboards, and provided windows support to name a few. I decided however to major in history. At my current job I teach computer classes and I manager the computer lab where I troubleshoot and configure network setting and the computers where necessary. I decided to get a masters in information systems from Devry University. I have been looking for different opportunities, and I am having a difficult time receiving offers. I have spoken to different people and they have stated that my transition is similar to a career change. I am trying to figure out what should my next steps be.