Options

Advice on where to begin?

mistiquemistique Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
i lurked the forum for a couple days before i decided to post my first question, just in case someone else had the same question.
I have been trying to figure out how to transition in the IT field the smartest way possible.

A little background...
I'm 26.. currently have a BA in Marketing and Management, and i do eventually would like to do an MBA but i just feel like i should be doing something in the IT field.
I have no experience (well, i worked as an IC for Comcast in tech support and sales. I worked from home with them for about 5 months, eventually had to let it go because of the unending issues with their systems. I spent half of my shift in troubleshooting, cuz they had to figure out why their systems were always down. It was not a pleasant experience for the customers who called in already pissed about having no internet for daysicon_exclaim.gif. I did enjoy the job but sometimes got frustrated as some customers were more learned than i was.) I did some other Independent contractor work from home but non IT related.
Currently work as a hotel auditor, have been doing that for 3 years with no advancement, no pay raise, nothing, nada. So i figure instead of wining about my dead end job i should do something about it.

-Since i have no experience whatsoever i was thinking of going back to get a second Bachelors degree in IT or computer science??
-The other option was to just do a Masters but that would mean taking a couple of non degree classes, but i hear they look for experience before admitting non related bachelor degree students to a MSc in IT program.

So i sought the advice of a friend who is currently a DBA, he said it would be a waste of my time if i go back to do a bachelors in IT. He said it would be best if i did a Masters degree in Cybersecurity as the job market is secure in that field. He also talked about UMUC(University of Maryland University College) and that i could complete it in 2 to 3 years online. He is quite optimistic about this but i have some concerns since i have no experience. How would i practice what i have learned if there is no lab. The program is all online and their website said they do accept people with non related degree backgrounds.
I know a degree is a tool and not the answer to everything, so what would you advice i do. Do the Cybersecurity masters ,self study the basics??
your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (Sorry for the long post)

Comments

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would say your best bet would be to go the Masters route. However, you dont need to do that right off the bat. It would be ideal to get a little experience first, and then do grad school(hopefully you can find a job to pay for some or all of it). With your marketing and sales background you should have some good options to break into the field. for example, you might be able to find a field engineering position or sales engineering, which typically are a hybrid of sales and IT skills(they pay well too). In the mean time, you will want to start studying the basics and grab a few entry level certs. CCNA, Microsoft, Sec+ would all be good starts and build a solid foundation from which you can build on and then decide which career direction you would like to go.

Also, if you are doing a masters program, typically they will provide an environment where you can practice what you have learned(mine does). However, you will probably want to build a home lab as well. That is going to be your best way to learn and play with stuff and with VMware you can do so pretty easily.
  • Options
    mistiquemistique Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much for your feedback. I will be focusing on self studying in the meantime and trying to get certs like you advised I feel like i'm wasting so much time, so i would ideally like to start the masters by fall. I know going for the masters will be challenging but i am willing to put 110 percent into it.
    This post has a lot of views, so i'm assuming people have the same question in mind, or just don't have any suggestions for me ? lol
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mistique wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your feedback. I will be focusing on self studying in the meantime and trying to get certs like you advised I feel like i'm wasting so much time, so i would ideally like to start the masters by fall. I know going for the masters will be challenging but i am willing to put 110 percent into it.
    This post has a lot of views, so i'm assuming people have the same question in mind, or just don't have any suggestions for me ? lol

I can see you are eager. However, in the short term i think your time is better spent studying the basics and grabbing those entry level certs. Many masters programs especially those that are IT based will want to see you with some IT experience. I know for mine i had to submit my resume. That Masters is going to help you most towards the middle of your career. But right now, i think you would be better served to get those entry level certs and build up your lab and your foundational tech skills.