Options

Meeting with recruiter.

What should i expect.
Should i dress as i would for an interview?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Probably just ask you some questions about your experience, what you are looking for etc. Some have a test they want you to take.

I'd dress business casual.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm still young and have only 3 months of experience but when I met a recruiter for a job in a big company, I dressed as if it was an interview and they were impressed. They said I looked professional so I'd suggest you to dress as you would for an interview just in case.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    If it's a general meeting with them I'd dress business casual but if it's for a specific position I would treat it as an interview.

It all comes down to meeting vs. interview in my opinion.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It sounds like you haven't had a lot of luck lately. I would at least wear a tie and nice pants.
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    Will the meeting help me gain a position?
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always wear a suit. Better to over dress then under dress
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like my personal experiences as well.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Menthol that's how a lot of them act. It's poor practice, however there are some decent recruiters out there. I go through 3 different ones and that is it. Everytime I try another recruiter I get burned one way or another.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Going to meet them is nothing more than a meet and greet. This way they can tell the client they had direct interaction with you, instead of just over the phone/email. Its standard practice in this area.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    KragsterKragster Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My personal opinion is, for first meeting at least, dress like you're going to an interview. In theory a recruiters job has two sides, finding a position that fits what you are looking for, and selling you to the client. Showing them you can present yourself in a professional manner can do nothing but help your chances.

And I've had pretty good luck with recruiters, about 50% good ones, 50% worthless. I stay in touch with the good ones through emails or occasional lunch just so I will have a head start down the road if needed.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Better to be overdressed than under dressed. I would go with a suit.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree it's a meet and greet affair. However, you have to take in consideration the job title, the company you would be interviewing with and the contract house. Since it's so many recruiter's sending candidates out for the same job the better you dress and can interview then you can negotiate better pay. You always have to keep in mind these contract houses/search firms are looking for the best candidate for the assignment so; they can make their profit too. (Food for thought)
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck with your meeting. I hope it goes well and if you have never met with a recruiter before, it will at least be a notch on the experience ladder.

What you can expect will largely depend on the type of recruiter you are meeting with - it really could be anything.

As to what to wear - I imagine it is largely also cultural.

In the US, if you are meeting with a recruiter from a hiring company (not a placement firm), then by all means, you should wear a business suit.

If you are meeting with a recruiter with a placement company, I personally would never wear a business suit. Depending on the type of placement company, I most likely will wear a jacket and shirt. The location of the placement firm would also help me decide what to wear - if I was meeting in a downtown office in a high-rise building, I would probably also wear a tie. But if their office was in a suburban office park, I am not likely to wear a tie. Either way, I would never wear a business suit.

Just remember that you are asking for fashion advice on a tech forum - icon_lol.gif - so your mileage may vary.