Options

Refilling ink cartridges vs remanufactured.

kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
There are so many options to refill or buy re-manufactured ink and toner products. Does anyone have a favorite?

Years ago i had good luck refilling my HP Deskjet 842c cartridges. Since i do quite a bit of printing at home now, i would like to start again.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used to refill my cartridges but seems the newer printers have some chip in them that makes it a pain to refill my own. I print so little now a days I just use the official cartridges sold by Canon.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Not worth trying to refill. (IMO)

If you have a TON of printing to do, then get a toner-based print device rather than ink based. Far better value in my experience.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Plantwiz, I agree 100%. The prices of laser printers has really dropped over the years making them quite affordable. The toner last forever.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just bought a Brother HL2270-DW laser printer. It's easy to refill and aftermarket toner is widely available.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreed 100% with Plantwiz. If you're really using ink, toner is cheaper than refilling ink. Frankly, I wouldn't buy an inkjet even for infrequent printing. Laser is just so much better.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Agreed 100% with Plantwiz. If you're really using ink, toner is cheaper than refilling ink. Frankly, I wouldn't buy an inkjet even for infrequent printing. Laser is just so much better.

According to HP inkjet is set to take of again and they are expect big increase in sales. However I am not convinced. I was reading how they have a inkjet printer that does 70PPM so thats more than on a second!

I would never bother refilling your own cartridges its just not worth the effort. you save a few £'s ever 3 months or so and lot of extra effort and fuss. Just get recycled ones for a decent company.

Or like others say get a toner based device if you have high throughput.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    70 pages a minute...and to think our museum printer (aka printing press) can whip out a couple hundred a minute! Just need to keep the old fingers clear of the plates ;)

70 on an inkjet, that's pretty impressive and I'll likely still find it 'slower' then I need a couple pages ;) Love to see it in action though!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I did a lot of printing I would probably invest in a laser or that 70 PPM printer. I just buy the recycled cartridges every few months and even turn in my used cartridges for a discount. I'm still using the same old HP inkjet I bought (printer/scanner/copier) about 5 years ago for $35..
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought a used HP Laserjet from a law firm about 4 years ago for $40. They even threw in an unopened toner cartridge.

I'm still printing to this day on the cartridge that was installed when I bought it, although the printouts are getting lighter. Probably time to go ahead and load up that toner cartridge they gave me with it.

All for $40. I'm never going back to inkjets.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have an old HP inkjet - 10 years old. I just have mine refill at Costco while shopping. I print about 20% of what I used to these days, so this works for me.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think when digital photos went mainstream, printing photos for home use or sending to friends and relatives was a big boost for inkjet sales. Now I think digital photo sharing on Facebook and other social media sites has kinda killed the incentive for some to print physical copies.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I think when digital photos went mainstream, printing photos for home use or sending to friends and relatives was a big boost for inkjet sales. Now I think digital photo sharing on Facebook and other social media sites has kinda killed the incentive for some to print physical copies.

Good point. I used to buy my daughters school pictures (cheapest pack possible) and just print copies for everyone. Now I just share it to their Facebook page.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Reseven wrote: »
    I bought a used HP Laserjet from a law firm about 4 years ago for $40. They even threw in an unopened toner cartridge.

I'm still printing to this day on the cartridge that was installed when I bought it, although the printouts are getting lighter. Probably time to go ahead and load up that toner cartridge they gave me with it.

All for $40. I'm never going back to inkjets.

I was set to make the move from inkjet (7 year old HP) to a laser MFD that does auto duplex and has an auto doc feeder but the wife insists I have a color printer available. So I just found a very nice Brother 4-1 inkjet on sale at Staples for $90, and then I'm going to search for a deal on a Laserjet like you found or something similar for my black and white prints. I hate having to run to the UPS store or Staples and then paying to print off a large amount b&w 2 sided prints so if I invested in a laser printer it would pay for itself in two to three of trips.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get a laser printer.

I have a working HP photo deskjet, it cost me more than 300$, it is fast and it uses 6 different cartridges for better Print quality.

But I did not need to use it for 3 months.

now he print heads are clogged, and two of the cartridges expired!

So instead of getting a new set of Cartridges I bought a new color laserjet printer, it costs more and toner is more expensive, but the difference in quality and not having to use cartridges is worth it.

The only downside is photo printing is better on the inkjet.