Options

Considering transfer from Florida Tech to WGU

razz2525razz2525 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been enrolled in Florida Tech since last summer when I began my Master's in IT with a minor in CyberSecurity but after a few courses and a change of job that put me into a Cyber Security role, I realized that I wanted a deeper dive into Cyber Security and not just a class or two as part of my degree. I was granted the transfer of degree and was accepted into the Information Assurance and CyberSecurity program at Florida Tech, but have been disappointed in not only my "advisor" or student representative as they call it but the fact that the first class in the MSIA program was unexpectedly cancelled due to lack of enrollment! So now I have wait until (maybe) the class is filled at the end of April to continue my degree. My advisor didn't even know why the class was cancelled and seemed to accuse me of dropping it! That's when he did a little research and found out the program cancelled it for this term.

I have a co-worker who used to go to WGU but had to drop out due to multiple back surgeries and because she couldn't keep up with the program, she had to drop out. She was talking about how it's at least 20 hours a week of studying which was hard for her and she didn't have kids. At Florida Tech, I would do work on Tuesday nights, Thursday nights and the weekend which was all I could muster between full-time work and after school activities for my kids. At 20 hours a week at least, I would have to study at least 1-2 hours per night. Frankly, after I put the kids to bed, I was ready to crash. I am really interested in WGU, since it's less $ than Florida Tech (which is $2200 per class), because it includes certifications, and because I've read that there are real mentors for not only your degree plan but if you have issues with the coursework itself. My own cert plan includes Network+, Security+, CISSP and CISA eventually over the next few years so I'm wondering if WGU will better help me get there than Florida Tech.

Then again, another co-worker told me that he knew plenty of people who went to Florida Tech who got great security jobs at NASA and other government agencies, so I'm wondering if I'm just being too eager to jump ship.

Also, is Florida Tech any more "marketable" than WGU on a resume or does it really matter?

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Florida Tech is probably more marketable somewhere in Florida, but probably not any more marketable somewhere else.

WGU takes a different amount of time for everyone, so the 20hr/wk thing is hard to say, some people may spend that much time others may spend 4hrs/wk or 20hrs/wk gets them done in 2 terms instead of 3 etc. I have completed my undergrad at WGU and am working on my MBA and I can say I have never felt the need to study more than 6hrs/wk to complete on schedule and anything more just accelerates me.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    Thanks for the input - did you have a strong background in IT before you started the BSIT program? I'm concerned that most of my background is business/compliance related, and not technical and I've heard that there are a number of assessments that may be tough to get through if you don't have that background.

How are you finding the mentors so far?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Razz

I am almost finished with the WGU MBA program which is obviously not the security track but...... My experience has been great. The mentor I have is really nice and puts me in contact with course mentors as needed. He is a great resource and liason into the other courses. It's great having one point of contact even if he literally CC's the course mentor into the email. It still helps a lot.

I wish you well I hear the security program is a great program to go through. I know I don't regret the MBA program, it has filled a lot of knowledge gaps I had possessed.

You friend is right the program is "underrated" academically, it's not easy. I challenge anyone to go through it first before laying that claim. When I started I had my doubts but after the first semester they were all removed. Is it an IVY league MBA (heck no) but it's a solid program that prepares the student to engage financially, operationally, strategically, etc.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your input. I'm actually considering getting my bachelor's at WGU and moving on to the master's program. I have no educational background in IT, and my professional experience has not been technical at all - it's been finance/procurement/software asset management. Only in the last few months has my Cyber Security compliance role gotten me closer to what I want to do, but when I read WGU's undergrad program, that's what I know I can get my arms around as a noob instead of going for a master's in a field where I have no educational or hands-on experience (btw, my B.A was in English lit 20 years ago :)).

Is this a crazy idea?
  • Options
    TKKJLTKKJL Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I see in your signature that you start MBA Nov, 2012- Finish Apr, 2013. It would be great if this is possible. Are you in a 6 month accelerated program or something?
    Definitely I'll show this school's program to my husband.

MiikeB wrote: »
    Florida Tech is probably more marketable somewhere in Florida, but probably not any more marketable somewhere else.

WGU takes a different amount of time for everyone, so the 20hr/wk thing is hard to say, some people may spend that much time others may spend 4hrs/wk or 20hrs/wk gets them done in 2 terms instead of 3 etc. I have completed my undergrad at WGU and am working on my MBA and I can say I have never felt the need to study more than 6hrs/wk to complete on schedule and anything more just accelerates me.