Options

Took a second job (non-IT) !

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Been in the IT game for a few years now and it felt like I needed to something else to break it up a bit. Another IT job was probably going to be too hard to get and do. I did take on a IT equipment relocation job for a few weeks last year but that was in the evening after my regular job and on Saturdays. I only sustained that kind of workload for a few weeks before I burnt out. I know you may say I should have toughened up, but you cannot do physical work day in and day out.

Well, the second job I've picked up is guess what? A LANDSCAPER's ASSISTANT! Basically, a helping hand, that title was coined by me icon_wink.gif I've always been interested in the outdoors and have done a few things around the house myself (I bought one 2 years ago). How it happened was that I needed someone to build me a retaining wall and I called in a landscaper. I explained what I needed done and he noticed the other work that had been done. He goes - that's a good idea, who did that for you? Me (proudly) - I did it. Really, he said and went on to say that he needed a hand for a 3 months on Saturdays as his regular guy was going travelling. I said yes to the offer right there. He said he'd pay me $100 for 4 hours of work. Not a bad wage I guess!

Who knows I may be able to turn this into a side business or something of my own. But for now it's just to break the routine a little and give me something different to look forward to each week. Cant wait! I start next Saturday. icon_cheers.gif
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Congrats, best of luck with your new job. I would learn as much possible and like you said start a side business.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I bet you'll enjoy it since you enjoy doing that stuff already (I do it occasionally and even do an occasional weekend freelance job) and a big plus is that it gets you up and moving without the drudgery of a gym.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. That will be great exercise.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a nice way to take a break from your studies.

Doesn't Australia have many of the most venomeous critters on the planet?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats, it's nice to have something to take your mind off of IT work.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I really did need something to get my mind off IT stuff. The brain cells need a refresh every now and again too. I'll provide an update after my first day at work, hopefully it's not too hot! I had an electrician lay conduits for me the other day and he started work at midday, boy O boy was it hot that day. I felt sorry for him when he was digging the trench. The sun turned him red by the time he finished.

Yeah we have some pretty venomous creatures around in the country, luckily Victoria is one of those states that's relatively free of them.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ess exciting stuff! Balance is so critical and it sounds like this may add some of that.
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    I'm an electrical helper here in New Jersey and I do that kind of work. I thought the heat was bad here in the states, I can only imagine doing that in Australia.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Essendon - well you actually do have lots of experience working with trees and forests! :) Good luck on the new gig, my friend!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Nice! I thought about getting a second job as a luggage handler for an airline just to get their benefits! After careful consideration, I turned down the offer because I didn't want to sacrifice family/study time. Plus I was told benefits don't kick in until a year. That's crazy!
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    Thanks guys! WiseWun, that luggage handler gig is also hard work from what I hear. An ex-neighbour was a baggage handler at the airport for a few years (he's moved quite a way up the ladder now though) and the guy's built like a bull. He had a free flight every year for himself and a partner for anywhere within the country, not bad I reckon. The benefits kicking in after a year does suck for sure.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..