Options

Flame on ... my (UK) CV

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
As the title says - that is a CV used in the UK. We in the UK use slightly different ways to create one - compared to the usual US resumes etc.

Oh I talked to several senior recruiter and they confirmed that no one ever reads introductions like "I make tea like a boss while organizing sleepovers one-handed" ....

But have a look anyway .. can always use some inspirations

4sz.jpg
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Is DOB standard over there? If not I'd get rid of it.

You are wasting a lot of space on your first page without really telling anything of substance that would make someone want to hire you. I'd trash the Skills section. A wall of buzz words with no context is wasted space IMO. I'd also clean up the certification section format to take up less space. Maybe go with multiple columns. I'd combine the certifications and education and put it all after the work experience.

You employment section reads like a copy/paste from a job description. Why don't you put what you did to help the place succeed? Put some numbers and deliverables there. That's what employers want to see.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Is DOB standard over there?

As far as I know, yes. I didn't use to include it and they asked anyway.
    You are wasting a lot of space on your first page without really telling anything of substance that would make someone want to hire you.
    I'd trash the Skills section. A wall of buzz words with no context is wasted space IMO

Mmmm... Tried that also and then I usually had to send the skills across or I had to fill out a long winded form saying exactly that.
    No skill section - doesn't it usually mean recruiter would have to go through every job you have worked in order to find out if you are qualified for something specific ?

If I'd write down what I have done on every single job (I am old you know :p) - I end up with a 10 page CV ?!?

I'd also clean up the certification section format to take up less space. Maybe go with multiple columns. I'd combine the certifications and education and put it all after the work experience.

Good idea - was wondering if I should do that - but I got defeated by WOrd skills :p
    You employment section reads like a copy/paste from a job description. Why don't you put what you did to help the place succeed? Put some numbers and deliverables there. That's what employers want to see.

Good point .. But that throws the same question - I can certainly write what I actually done rather than generalize .. but without a skill section - how are recruiter able to see what I am capable of ?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Show the skills you have in context in the experience section. Anyone can list anything they want in a skills section. It's totally useless IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So jibbajabba, I see you left your second to last job after 8 months and are now looking to leave your present role after just 3.

Why would I want to hire someone who has a track record of jumping ship so quickly?
  • Options
    buzzkill wrote: »
    So jibbajabba, I see you left your second to last job after 8 months and are now looking to leave your present role after just 3.

Why would I want to hire someone who has a track record of jumping ship so quickly?

Contract jobs .
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Contract jobs .

I note contract positions like this: ACME Co. (contract)

This way short time at ACME doesn't raise undo red flags.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    I note contract positions like this: ACME Co. (contract)

This way short time at ACME doesn't raise undo red flags.

I do the same thing.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd leave out the DOB and nationality, just a typo where "Various Server" should be "Various server". And make it be known the short jobs were contract jobs. I presume you are going for more contract jobs. The layout looks tailored towards skills which looks good. Good luck with the job search...