Options

The other(good?) side of social media and new jobs

wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
The other thread was full of cautions about using social media for anyone looking for a new position, but I think there can be another side as well. I have also seen several people talk about using twitter/g+/blogs to make some connections and impressions with potential employers, esp. within infosec. Maybe not for entry level jobs, or jobs that are behind a big HR wall, but maybe some of the more interesting roles might be easier to get with a little bit less traditional approach.

Tweets, not résumés, are trending #icymi

Comments

• Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Undoubtedly you can absolutely use social media to your advantage.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Polynomial wrote: »
    Undoubtedly you can absolutely use social media to your advantage.
    Agreed. I actually got my current job through a forum. The hiring manager saw some of my posts and apparently thought I might be a good fit for a job opening he needed to fill. He sent me a PM asking if I was interested in it, and after a couple phone interviews I had an offer.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I tend to believe a lot of the great companies are using social media to get candidates. I tend to think there are people out there not actively seeking employment, but not realizing there is a chance to make some more money elsewhere.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff