Options

What would I need to stack 2 Dell 3549P's?

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been getting different information from other people so I was wondering if someone on here could help me out.

I currently have one Dell PowerConnect 3548P switch and am getting another.
Because of how they need to be setup I need them to be stacked but i'm noture what I would need to stack these. Hopefully this can be done with Cat6 cable but would I need one or two and also would the cable/cables need to be straight or crossover?

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You might try looking at this
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks earweed,

My question now is that the documentation just mentions a Cat5 cable but doesn't specify if its a straight patch cable or a crossover cable. It's my understanding that you generally use a crossover when connecting switches but I wanted to makesure.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It says standard so I would probably assume it's a straight cable. Going from regular port to regular port is crossover but when stacking switches using the gigabit ethernet ports you use straight (I believe). I've never worked with Dell switches doing this, only Nexus and those we used different cabling (twin-ax of optic) for that purpose.

But like that document says consult the user manual on the cd.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.