Options

a question

which would be a easier career path network admin or dba

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A better question would be: "What do you want to do?" Easiest route isn't the best.
  • Options
    programmer24programmer24 Banned Posts: 122
    I thought about getting into databases because I am good with sql databases but I like networking it interested me due to the fact I have basic networking knowledge. I don't have a lot of experience and I am trying to get my first it job in order to gain exp
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    whatever path you choose, if you want to succeed or do well, it wont be easy. So take the route that you like and go from there.
  • Options
    MAPLMAPL Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Like everyone else stated, don't worry about which is the easier path. Focus more which ever you enjoy.
  • Options
    you are right I just really want to focusing on being a database administrator
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    If Database Administration is what interests you then stick with it. Nothing in life worth having has ever come easily.
  • Options
    like I said before I am good with databases I just get discouraged when people wouldn't give me a chance
  • Options
    Good choice.

On a side note, I'm actually on the same boat as you. My ultimate goal is to become a DBA for I have a passion working with databases. When I was first exposed to databases during my undergrad years (BA in Information Systems), I knew right away that I wanted to pursue a career in that field and the best way to get started was to gain some experience in IT.

I'm currently working as a Desktop Support technician and have gained some invaluable experience (my first IT job). Aside from my job, I am currently enrolled in a Community College taking a SQL Server Development course while studying for my 461 exam. My plan is to go from being a tech, to some sort of admin position (network or system admin), then eventually becoming a DBA. I know it won't be an easy road, but I'm willing to work hard to get there. It definitely helps being passionate about the field, and right now I really enjoy what I'm doing at my current position.

Nothing will be easy if you want to achieve your goals.
  • Options
    It can be discouraging at times but as long as you keep improving your KSAs... someone, somewhere, will eventually take a chance on you.
  • Options
    like I said before I am good with databases I just get discouraged when people wouldn't give me a chance

Do you have any IT experience? You'd have to be very lucky to land a DBA position without some sort of experience. Look for a help desk/desktop support or entry level data analyst postion first.
  • Options
    would being a qa/data analyst at a junior level would lead me to a career in dba
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Some of the paths to DBA I've seen:

Helpdesk / Tech Support Rep --> Junior Sysadmin (doing light DBA work among other things) --> DBA
    Customer Service Rep --> Data Analyst --> DBA
    Programmer (working with DBs *a lot*) --> DBA (this was probably more common in 90s and less common these days)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    i just looking for maybe a helpdesk/customer service rep to start with do i have to get a a+/n+
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Earning the skills to excel in either one isn't easy.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    i know what you mean
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The one that will be the easiest is the one that you love to do.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    its like i have to create a portfolio if i want to be a dba
  • Options
    This helped me to understand what you're up against a bit more...

How to become a SQL Server DBA - Everything you need to know