Options

Which career/job website did you use to get your current job? POLL

-hype-hype Member Posts: 165
Which website have you had the best success of getting an interview or landing a job from you application?
WGU BS IT:Network Administration
Started: 10-1-13
Completed: 9-21-14
Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Only two IT jobs were word of mouth. It pays to know people.
    WIP:
    ROUTE
  • Options
    MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    Got my current job via a craigslist job posting.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Geek1969 wrote: »
    Only two IT jobs were word of mouth. It pays to know people.

Ditto.

Both my FTE appointments are the result of a friend saying "hey, gimme your resume!"
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    All of my jobs and contracts were found on Monster. My latest job was found on Indeed. I would still look at other sites, but Indeed is the best overall IMO.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    xzaxza Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I went to the website of my current employer and other potential ones at the time. I had no less than a dozen at any given week. I found more relevant jobs that way. I feel these top job sites have a habit of encouraging the modern job seeker (in any field) to just sit around and wait for employers to come to them. I am extremely skeptical of people who have been "looking for jobs" for the last X amount of months/years and have not found one.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Indeed has been the best, but recently LinkedIn has been more beneficial. 7000+ connects and rising really gives me serious visibility.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got pretty much all of my jobs on craigslist
  • Options
    I think it's maybe because indeed doesn't charge the employers as much to place an ad than the other websites. I had a feeling it would win.
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My current job I got through Indeed. The previous 2 were Monster & Career builder --- two sites I don't really bother with anymore, they're just a mailing list for fake & temp contract jobs its seems now.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Gmail and a couple of email addresses.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Current position: Word of mouth / networking (former client)
    Past position: Monster

My other two FT positions started 10 years ago, so not sure if it is relevant anymore, but the local paper's website and Monster.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Monster gets a lot of crap for the poor signal to noise ratio, but its where I found my last two jobs.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never had luck with any website other than CraigsList. It should be in your poll as a selection.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Never had luck with any website other than CraigsList. It should be in your poll as a selection.

I wish i had thought of it at the time. Too late now icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    bud08bud08 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Craigslist to find jobs but then applied directly to company's site to avoid recruiters.

Indeed had been my go-to. It provided a lot of phone interviews but my above method got my foot in the door.
  • Options
    OG MaverickOG Maverick Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just signed up for Dice and went through applying to places last night. I'm hoping it works out, but luckily I'm in a position where I don't need to find something fast. Here's to hoping Dice comes through!
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was called up by an old agency who had found me a job in the past.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Posted my resume at Indeed and a staffing agency contacted me the same day. When I browse for jobs, I use Indeed and Craigslist.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    BradwmetalBradwmetal Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My last two jobs came from getting contacted by recruiters that found my Resume Online. One was Monster the other they didn't say. I did not contact either first
  • Options
    Chalk one up for Craigslist, got my first IT job interview through a craigslist ad! :D
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I actually found my job from a Yahoo jobs posting that doesn't seem to exist anymore, job before that was a recruiter
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Another one for craigslist!
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Craigslist brought me the last two jobs, and I was/am happy with both
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Last 3 jobs have been Craigslist
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I watched the websites of several major players in the area that I wanted to work for. When a good fit opened up....I sent a hard copy of my resume and cover letter to the VP of IT.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Current job from networking. The last job I held was found VIA Craigslist.
  • Options
    xzaxza Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□