Options

Revisiting Freelancer.com

ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
Today, I decided to take another look at Freelancer.com, which I first looked at about a year ago when someone mentioned it in a thread about Workmarket. I had previously created an account, but essentially gave up on the site after coming to the conclusion it would be a significant up-front time investment for very little reward. There weren't that many projects related to infrastructure, and the budgets ridiculously low.

I found Freelancer has restructured a bit, with more intuitive categorization of projects and definitely more projects in all areas, especially those relevant to my interests. Not only are there more general infrastructure projects, but I'm started to get more interested in doing small programming and scripting projects on the side to make up for the limitations of what my day job needs.

Unfortunately, Freelancer has apparently added a certification system, wherein you pay $5 to take a certification test in a given area. There were quite a few for tech, though only a handful that would interest me or most TE members. There's even one for English fluency. While $5 doesn't break the bank, I'm extremely dissuaded at this point. I'm supposed to spend $30 or $40 on tests to show relatively basic skill just to even be allowed to bid on projects which by and large seem to still have pretty limited budgets. Just looking at a sample of 20 projects, maybe three were both interesting and enough money to even think about.

Has anyone here actually done a project on Freelancer, or done them with some frequency, for that matter? The concept is intriguing to me and my desire to write non-trivial programs and scripts and fix problems for money is strong, but the whole thing strikes me as not worth the effort.
Working B.S., Computer Science
Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
In progress: CLEP US GOV,
Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340

Comments