Lost my job - Need Guidance from my fellow IT peeps

dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
I lost my job last week as a computer technician for a school district after working for them for nearly four years. All my yearly reviews were great and I received tons of accommodations. We recently started a 1 to 1 iPad initiative where we gave every student an iPad and the project is already failing (as nearly everyone in IT predicted it would). I became outspoken (much to my regret) about how the project was a waste of money and suggested ways we could change the project to improve it, save money, or safe face. The next thing I know, I'm fired.

Right now I have about 7 classes left at WGU so I'm trying to finish them as quickly as I can.

It was shocking to be fired, as I have never been fired from a job before. I have several questions, maybe some of you have been through something similar and can offer me some guidance. I have several good references from them.

1) How do I list the last 4 years on my resume? Do I even list it at all? A previous employer would show up on a background check, right?

2) How do I answer questions about my departure in future interviews? I'm not big on lying as it usually comes back to bite you.

3) I'm focused on finishing WGU, and getting into a Master Program somewhere, I'm also casually looking for jobs... Will it be easier to find a job once I have my bachelors finished?

I am grateful for any advice

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1 big question is what was the OFFICIAL reason the company gave for firing you. That could drastically alter what any of us would advise you to do. It would also not be a good idea to leave that job off since that would leave a 4 year gap. As far as future interviews and stuff it is always best in an interview not to bad mouth former employers, try to be diplomatic.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What do you mean the iPad project was failing?
    And why did your company say you were fired?
  • bud08bud08 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like the others, I am curious as to why this minor disagreement cost your job but here is what worked for me:

1) How do I list the last 4 years on my resume? Do I even list it at all? A previous employer would show up on a background check, right?

List it. It would appear in a background check.

2) How do I answer questions about my departure in future interviews? I'm not big on lying as it usually comes back to bite you.

Be honest. Don't avoid it. Tell them that you were let go because you disagreed with the direction they were taking. Tell them why you had reservations---use it as an opportunity to show off your expertise.

3) I'm focused on finishing WGU, and getting into a Master Program somewhere, I'm also casually looking for jobs... Will it be easier to find a job once I have my bachelors finished?

Hard to tell in this economy. I would just apply to things that interest you. If you aren't finding the level/area of interest, definitely look into getting an internship. Don't let a gap grow between this job and the next without some employment/internship to show for it. I had an educational gap and it was an uphill battle for me at least. I really wished I had filled the time with an internship.

FYI (if you are US based) past employers cannot say bad things about you without getting in legal trouble. HR is asked would they rehire with a yes/no response.

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    If the project was to give each student an I-Pad, and each student was receiving an I-Pad ... there has to be more to it than this.

My advice is to not have any gaps.

If you're going to school full-time ... that's not really a gap. It would just be important to know why you left your most recent job.

I would follow the advice to figure out what the actual reason for the firing is (from human resources) and then you can play it from there.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yup, need more information.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    List it honestly. No, it won't show in a background check if you don't list it often but that's not the point. You don't want to exclude a long term job because you pissed the wrong person off. I would recommend finding key personnel you worked with that would give you a letter of recommendation or vouch for you and put them as your references. I'm not sure if I'm buying the whole "they fired me because I disagreed" story but let's say you're right. You couldn't have pissed off 100% of people there with that and someone should be willing to be your reference. As far as how to answer questions on your departure, you can be 100% honest or you can sort of skirt around it with something along the lines of "it was time for us to part ways." Whatever. I find honesty is the best policy and lies are too much of an effort to maintain. Not to mention the fact that IT is a small field and you might run into ex-coworkers at some point in the future so be aware of this. Will it be easier to find a job when you have your BS? It'll probably open more doors but I wouldn't wait around. Go for getting a job now because you never know how long it'll take you to find that next job
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    1 big question is what was the OFFICIAL reason the company gave for firing you. That could drastically alter what any of us would advise you to do. It would also not be a good idea to leave that job off since that would leave a 4 year gap. As far as future interviews and stuff it is always best in an interview not to bad mouth former employers, try to be diplomatic.

It's going to be something generic like "Communication", I'm on Admin Leave w/Pay right now, so I don't have an official reason.

bud08 wrote: »
    Like the others, I am curious as to why this minor disagreement cost your job but here is what worked for me:

Be honest. Don't avoid it. Tell them that you were let go because you disagreed with the direction they were taking. Tell them why you had reservations---use it as an opportunity to show off your expertise.

Hard to tell in this economy. I would just apply to things that interest you. If you aren't finding the level/area of interest, definitely look into getting an internship. Don't let a gap grow between this job and the next without some employment/internship to show for it. I had an educational gap and it was an uphill battle for me at least. I really wished I had filled the time with an internship.

FYI (if you are US based) past employers cannot say bad things about you without getting in legal trouble. HR is asked would they rehire with a yes/no response.

Thanks!

olaHalo wrote: »
    What do you mean the iPad project was failing?
    And why did your company say you were fired?

The students were breaking far more iPads than we projected and the cost of repairing them makes the project nonsustainable.

instant000 wrote: »
    If the project was to give each student an I-Pad, and each student was receiving an I-Pad ... there has to be more to it than this.

In a weird way, I wish it was something juicy or there was more to it, but there honestly isn't.

CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    Yup, need more information.

Thanks and see above please!
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    bud08 wrote: »

A background check will not pull up all your previous employers. They go based on public information which usually has to do with your criminal record which searches the court system for pending and past cases. A credit check (which is not standard) may pull up previously listed employers for loans and lines you previously had open but, again, this is not standard on pre-employment check and they need to make sure you give consent to pull up your credit report. You can also dispute information on your credit report such as your employer's name and the credit reporting agency will quickly remove it. As far as giving a bad reference, past employers can do so and this has been tried and tested in several supreme courts. As long as they are FACTUALLY correct, they can say "X employee missed 10 days of work and we fired his arse." They cannot say things that are not confirmable or opinion such as "Mr. X was a big poopy head that no one could get along with."
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A background check will not pull up all your previous employers. They go based on public information which usually has to do with your criminal record which searches the court system for pending and past cases. A credit check (which is not standard) may pull up previously listed employers for loans and lines you previously had open but, again, this is not standard on pre-employment check and they need to make sure you give consent to pull up your credit report. You can also dispute information on your credit report such as your employer's name and the credit reporting agency will quickly remove it. As far as giving a bad reference, past employers can do so and this has been tried and tested in several supreme courts. As long as they are FACTUALLY correct, they can say "X employee missed 10 days of work and we fired his arse." They cannot say things that are not confirmable or opinion such as "Mr. X was a big poopy head that no one could get along with."

Thank you for your advice, I would not post a message board with a question like this and hide anything or not be fully forthcoming. I'm asking for help and advice, after all.