Options

Yahoo cracking down on remote workers

computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
Work from home no more: How do you feel about Yahoo’s crackdown? | VentureBeat

I believe it should be done by case by case basis, not a blanket statement. What do you guys think about this move?
There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bad move on their part. Really bad. It's not that there isn't value in coming to the office, but there is so much value for all parties in not having to come to the office every day. And at the end of the day, top talent will quit if WFH is never allowed. I know I would.

A reasonable rule might be on how often an employee may work from home. This move doesn't seem reasonable.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    "The new policy will most directly affect several hundred people who had negotiated work-at-home agreements (out of a total workforce of about 12,000), and who may not even be able to work in a Yahoo office without relocating."

This portion disturbs me. Is that even legal??
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Legal, almost certainly. It may constitute contractual breach, but I won't speculate. If they have actual contracts (as opposed to simply employment agreements), it could be an issue.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can't speak of what might be going on inside Yahoo, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

However, where I work there is a working from home epidemic. So much so that a new policy was drafted to put in place many approvals an employee must go through to be granted working from home privileges. I get it though, some of my employees get a lot of work done from home. A lot more then they probably would get done in the office because of many factors.
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    If they have actual contracts (as opposed to simply employment agreements), it could be an issue.

"work-at-home agreements" sound contractual to me but we shall see.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    They brought in Marissa Mayer to turn things around. The media and tech community slobbered allover the announcement originally. Time to see what she can do. If this is part of the plan, so be it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I have been working from home from past 4 years and trust me its not easy, the office time and home time blurs and invariably the family pays the price in the long run. Saying that the time saved can be utilized for personal development, for example I save 4 hours of travel time plus I have been able to take on additional work as I can manage my time better.
    Their is a downfall that a few bad eggs spoil the party for people who are serious about work, I am sure every team/company has people like that who take WFH as an excuse to enjoy their time and do no work. Mostly because of this managers/HR come up with draconian memo's like this. Most times managers will pass snide remarks about how easy it is to work from home, but in the end if you can deliver the goods people don't really care where you work from
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    I'm interested to see how many employees leave the company and go to competitors just because they are no longer to work from home. They might lose some good talent with a move like this. Only time will tell if this is a good decision or a bad decision.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Working at home- whether good or bad, is not what's in question, is the fact they're forcing a ton of people to stop working remotely.

That being said, Bear in mind these employee's had telecommute agreements with Yahoo- which implies those individuals WANTED to work from home. What will this do to morale when they take it away- from a leadership standpoint that is what I'd be most concerne with.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    For me its more simple then that, I will be happy to put in my 9-10 hours a day and go home and relax.

Currently I am working from home and get a call from my team for something which may be after my shift, I am expected to login and sort it out. Do I get paid extra for it-Hell No!

If I was told that I need to work from office I will not be able to deliver the same commitment.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    ...these employee's had telecommute agreements with Yahoo...

Exactly as I stated previously... this is the real issue here.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I tend to see this hurting them if their employees are anything like me. I worked from home for a month and while I didn't love it, the company forced us to so they could save a months rent on our old space (I don't blame them for that). Now the problem was we got hit by a big snow storm and a number of people took their phones home figuring they'd just work from home that day. Our owner had the Director of Ops send out an email saying no one was to work from home, if you weren't coming in you'd need to use a day. He also added that two people said they'd definitely be in regardless of weather. Welp, the entire helpdesk (minus one guy and one NOC guy) used the day and they got slammed big time. One of the sales people talked to the Director of Ops the next week and asked why he'd say that as they received complaints. He explained that the owner said we couldn't work from home and the sales guy laughed, "they did it for an entire month and I got calls saying how quickly things were fixed."

Thus is they agreed I could work from home (this is Yahoo now) and then they said you have to come in. If I could, I'd go in. But at the same time, if they called me when I was at home I'd tell them I'd have to look at it when I'm in the office. Gotta scratch my back a little bit, I'll go the extra mile, but they should at least compromise. Maybe two days work from home and three days in the office. They're an internet company for God sakes.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I figure the folks that had telecommuting in their contract, will be given the option of a nice severance since Yahoo is the one who is not able to live up to their end of the agreement. If not, they will be paying out of their behind in legal fees.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    She should have just fired half of them instead subpar work has been the norm there for years. It's probably her end goal so she can do performance tracking and get rid of all the dead weight who joined after being cast off from MS,FB, apple and google.
  • Options
    RanMicRanMic Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I find that I work less when I am in the office. At home I am paranoid I'm going to miss someting, so I constantly have my VPN connection running and checking stuff over and over.